Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage - Wont Run Right????

Ok so here's the latest on my project ski. I just installed a new top end. Just got it back together today. Here is a little history. The jet ski hasnt been run in 2 years. I bought it last month knowing it needed a new top end. So that has been completed today. I started it up and runs great at idle. Compression is great. Heres where the problem lies. I hit the throttle and it it revs up about halfway and then wont run any higher. The easiest way to explain is when you have a 4 wheeler and put it in reverse and you dont hit the reverse overide button it will act like a rev limiter. This is what my ski is doing. I pulled the carb off and cleaned out all the lines and blew out all of the lines. I put the carb back on and it is still doing it.

I havent put it in the water so it has been only run on land. Will running it on land cause it to run like this? It almost seems like it is being governed at a certain RPM and wont go any higher. My gauges still dont work either so I dont have any warning lights. I havent checked this issue yet either.

One other point, it seems like it is hard as hell to get it into gear. You really have to put some umph into it to get it to go into drive, neutral and reverse. Could it be stuck in reverse?

K447?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model of Virage?
    Carburetor or Fuel Injection?

Is the Reverse warning message showing on the display?
    Red Flashing lamp?

How to repair a stiff or jammed Reverse lever on Virage, MSX, Genesis
    Relieves the binding inside the reverse handle mechanism

If the Reverse sensing switch thinks the Reverse lever is engaged, then the engine will limit to around 3500RPM.

It is a just a 2001 Virage 700cc 3 Seater 2 Cylinder Carb'd. Single Carb. The gauges arent working at the moment. Im still trying to trouble shoot that problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoCoLifSavr View Post
    It is a just a 2001 Virage 700cc 3 Seater 2 Cylinder Carb'd. Single Carb. The gauges arent working at the moment. Im still trying to trouble shoot that problem.
    The non-working display may be part of the problem;

Multi-Function Display (MFD)

How to unplug the MFI and still allow the engine to crank, start, and run
    If the MFI is causing trouble, or is just missing or unplugged, you can still crank, start, and run the engine using a bypass jumper

Well I just read on your post about fixing your shift lever and how it should take 2 fingers to get it into gear? It takes 2 hands to shift it from forward to neutral to reverse. It seems really tight.

+1
    Well I just read on your post about fixing your shift lever and how it should take 2 fingers to get it into gear?

It takes 2 hands to shift it from forward to neutral to reverse. It seems really tight.
    Now you know how to fix it

**UPDATE**

So I went ahead and checked the voltage to the MFD. Red/Purple wire was at 0 volts and the yellow wire was reading 12.5 volts. I had replaced the 1/4 amp fuse 2 weeks ago and still didnt have power. Well I bypassed the security function by reading your post on the MFD bypass. Well I fired the jet ski up and it ran like a champ. So I pulled the computer back out and put another 1/4 amp fuse in it and the gauges lit up. So I put the jet ski back together and it runs like a champ.

K447 you have saved me a lot of heart ache with your suggestions and made diagnosing these problems a breeze. You are the man.

+1
    ...I fired the jet ski up and it ran like a champ.

So I pulled the computer back out and put another 1/4 amp fuse in it and the gauges lit up.

So I put the jet ski back together and it runs like a champ...

Good to hear you have got it running.

Now you know why we say it is important to actually and properly check the fuses.

Make sure that not only is the fuse actually good, but also that you really are getting power through to the connector at the far end of the cable.

Now get that Reverse lever fixed before you break or jam something...

Also take the time to really go over everything else on the machine.

Check every hose clamp and hose (even the ones that are hard to get at). Fuel, oil, water.

Check every nut and bolt.

Make sure the wiring is properly supported and clipped in place.

Check the thumb throttle cable for correct slack.

Check for fraying of the oil and throttle cables where they enter the sleeves.

Check everything.

Im gonna go out there this afternoon and zip tie all the cables back in place and go over all the clamps again. Do you recommend putting silicone around the computer box so water does not get into it?

One other thing, does it matter which plug wire goes where? I had tags on them to help me rem. which plug they went on but they fell off. I read somewhere that it doesnt matter but I figured if anyone knew it would be you.

Thanks!

+1
    ...Do you recommend putting silicone around the computer box so water does not get into it?

...does it matter which plug wire goes where?
    I had tags on them to help me rem. which plug they went on but they fell off. I read somewhere that it doesn't matter...
    The electrical box should have a rubber O-ring type seal in a groove between the two halves. Is it missing?

Replace the seal if it is missing or damaged. That electrical box needs to be water tight.

On the carburetor two cylinder engines after 1999, both spark plugs fire together every time. It doesn't really matter which way the spark plug wires are connected to the cylinders.

This is also true for the older two cylinder engines if they have the Ignition Update Kit.
    Tip: Rather than using tape or paper tags that might fall off, you can use small zip ties to flag the wires (or hoses).

One zip tie means first cylinder, two zip ties means second cylinder, and so on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information