Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help starts and wont start help!!

Hi, I have a 1996 sl700. It seems to run fine and starts up almost always. Well lately after taking it out and riding for a while I'll turn it off and try and start it and nothing happens. I press the button and it doesn't even turn over. Then out of nowhere it will start. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. Yesterday after turning it off after running it hard it doesn't start at all. It has the terminal caps and the battery cover.

Well this first started happening when I replaced the motor mounts. After that the battery was making a connection with the electrical box and it shorted out the thin black wire coming from the electrical box. I fixed that and it seemed to be fine until it wont start.

What could it be? Please help.

Thanks

any ideas??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You are going to need to some diagnostics.

I would start, just to be sure, by removing, cleaning, and reconnecting both ends of both heavy battery cables. Also clean and check the heavy starter motor cable. You want clean metal-to-metal connections.

Next I would open up the electrical box, and really check every ground wire connection. Look for anything burned, loose, pinched, damaged.

When the problem happens, does the start solenoid click?

Does the MFD display work?
    When the problem happens, what does the display do?

No display and when I try and start it the solenoid does not click.

+1
    what did you do to fix the so called problem? u said you fixed it and it seemed to work,

What I mean when i said that I fixed it; I replaced the thin black wire from the electrical box to battery and put a battery cover on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    No display and when I try and start it the solenoid does not click.
    ...I replaced the thin black wire from the electrical box to battery and put a battery cover on.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You are going to need to some diagnostics.

I would start, just to be sure, by removing, cleaning, and reconnecting both ends of both heavy battery cables. Also clean and check the heavy starter motor cable. You want clean metal-to-metal connections.

Next I would open up the electrical box, and really check every ground wire connection. Look for anything burned, loose, pinched, damaged
    Disconnect all wires from the battery negative, and separate them from each other.

Set your multi-meter to ohms mode. Solidly clamp one probe to a bare metal spot on the engine.

Now probe each Black ground wire. Each end of each Black wire, including the two separated battery wires, must measure zero ohms to the engine block.

The terminal block the Blacks wires connect to must also measure zero ohms to the engine block.

When I say zero ohms, I mean the meter should show a number very similar to the number you measure when you firmly touch the two meter probes together.

Short the probes, make note of the ohms number. Do this several times, to confirm the readings are fairly consistent.

All your ground measurements should then be less than 1.0 ohms greater than the reading when the probes are shorted together.

For example, one of my own meters reads 0.6 ohms with the probes shorted. That means that a reading of 0.8 on a wire is actually only 0.2 greater than the probes themselves. 0.2 ohms is close enough to zero ohms for our purposes.

The negative battery cable is at 0 ohms. The thin black cable is at 1.5 ohms and so is the negative terminal in the electrical box. What does this mean?

thanks

+1
    The negative battery cable is at 0 ohms.

The thin black cable is at 1.5 ohms and so is the negative terminal in the electrical box.
    What does this mean?
    It means the connection between the electrical box and the engine isn't as good as it should be.

Re-examine the cable bundle that runs between the electrical box and the flywheel stator housing at the front of the engine.

Flex the stator wiring while watching the ohm meter. If the meter reading jumps around at all as you flex and tug on the stator cable, then it needs repair.

My suspicion is that the Black wire in that stator wire bundle also got toasted when you had the battery short to the electrical box.

You may end up needing to replace the stator, or get the wire bundle repaired.

Also look really closely at the terminal board tabs and Black wire connections. Is it burned or corroded at all?

The Stator is the round thing in front on the engine?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information