Front Crank Seal

I've just rebuilt the carbs on the XL 1200Ltd for the 2nd time in 2 weeks (just in case I'd messed up first time, which I knew I hadn't!), and still have a problem with #1 cyl not coming 'on song' until 3000rpm, or 3/8 throttle. I've replaced plugs, leads and #1 coil, and re-checked fuel system, reeds, carbs and pulse lines (with special attention to low speed side of #1 carb), and also checked powervalves, and all are fine. the ski idles the same with #1 lead off and on, but doesn't idle with #2 or #3 off, so I know it's def #1. All low speed screws are 1 1/2 turns out. Once #1 kicks in it pulls like a train right up to 7k and goes all day the same. Could the front crank seal have popped out? Could that cause this? The compression is 110 across all 3 cyls. This is driving me slightly mad! Thank's for any input, and thank's to Osidebill for his advice in a pm. Cheers all, Dave.

+1
    check pm

+1
    When you rebuilt the carbs, did you set the proper popoff? You may also want to look at a coil problem in the electrical box.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    When you rebuilt the carbs, did you set the proper popoff? You may also want to look at a coil problem in the electrical box.
    Hi Boogie. The problem only started after a high speed run a few weeks ago, and I replaced the springs with the same colour (gold) from the new kits I used to rebuild the carbs with, so didn't think I'd need to do a pop-off test (I don't have a tester, so I will have to make one and re-try). The springs are the same in the other 2 carbs, and they're fine, but that doesn't rule out anything. The coil I've tried is from a complete spare electrical box I acquired last year from a running ski, so I'm pretty confident that's not the problem. You are right, of course, that I should check the pop-off, and also another well respected member has suggested a stuck needle and seat. Thank's for your input. Only other clue may be the ski being upside down for a few weeks in the winter during the respray, but I'd have thought a fuel blockage in any of the feeds would more likely show up at higher speeds (fuel starvation etc). There is plenty of fuel flowing through the pipes, by the way.

+1
    N/S is definitely a possibility. Don't rely on the spring color, though. I've done popoff tests that were way off, and the springs had to be stretched or cut down. I'm sure Oside has encountered this a million times.

If it is, in fact, a fuel problem, don't run the ski again until you get it fixed. Or you may melt a piston.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    Hi Boogie. The problem only started after a high speed run a few weeks ago, and I replaced the springs with the same colour (gold) from the new kits I used to rebuild the carbs with, so didn't think I'd need to do a pop-off test (I don't have a tester, so I will have to make one and re-try). The springs are the same in the other 2 carbs, and they're fine, but that doesn't rule out anything. The coil I've tried is from a complete spare electrical box I acquired last year from a running ski, so I'm pretty confident that's not the problem. You are right, of course, that I should check the pop-off, and also another well respected member has suggested a stuck needle and seat. Thank's for your input. Only other clue may be the ski being upside down for a few weeks in the winter during the respray, but I'd have thought a fuel blockage in any of the feeds would more likely show up at higher speeds (fuel starvation etc). There is plenty of fuel flowing through the pipes, by the way.

check that first..

Just an update. Gaz came round yesterday and we poked and prodded around and found 1) the #1 cyl spark plug lead I'd taken from a supposedly good electrics box was leaking voltage (right up my arm at one point...OUCH ), so the spark was not as hot as it should have been, and 2) 1&1/2 turns out on the low speed adjuster was not enough for my motor on #1 cyl (2 & 3 are fine at 1&1/2 though). As soon as I got it 2 turns out, #1 cyl came 'on song' and it's now running sweet as a nut! I took it out today on a near calm sea and I've never felt it so smooth and strong. Good at low speeds, and very clean pickup all through the throttle openings The Skatrak impeller and Worx grate I put in over winter have really made a massive difference as well. Must have been the combo of weak spark, and too lean on the #1 low speed that was causing the bog. Thank's again for all the valuable suggestions. I will do the pop-off test next time the carbs are out though, just for peace of mind.Dave

+1
    i bet your a happy chap

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    i bet your a happy chap
    As the dog says, "Oh yes, yes, yes"! Now I need something else to keep me out of the house and in the workshop!

+1
    oh yes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information