Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Down and Out

Down and Out

Took the 2000 slx to a friend to check out the ski. He said one of the pistons was prolly moving side to side causing a clicking noise. He checked compression(cold) with revs and each cylinder was 125 across. He said he could go ahead and do 1 cylinder for 300 or all three for 900 dollars. Should I do one or all three? Should I try to do this myself? I think I could do it with some video or book help. I would really like to learn to work on the ski. Last thing. Had a family trip planned next week. How much damage would result from continuing to ride it. It still runs and compression numbers are fair. Or do I buy a new engine for 400 more dollars. The reason Im asking all the experts here is because I love my ski and want to fix it so I can ride it for many years to come. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ercoach View Post
    Took the 2000 slx to a friend to check out the ski. He said one of the pistons was prolly moving side to side causing a clicking noise. He checked compression(cold) with revs and each cylinder was 125 across. He said he could go ahead and do 1 cylinder for 300 or all three for 900 dollars. Should I do one or all three? Should I try to do this myself? I think I could do it with some video or book help. I would really like to learn to work on the ski. Last thing. Had a family trip planned next week. How much damage would result from continuing to ride it. It still runs and compression numbers are fair. Or do I buy a new engine for 400 more dollars. The reason Im asking all the experts here is because I love my ski and want to fix it so I can ride it for many years to come. Thanks

125 PSI on all cylinders sounds pretty good to me. I would get a second opinion regarding that noise, before I do anything else.

I think its good 125 across on compression. I just don't want to hurt the ski any more if the piston is rocking back and forth and causing internal damage or will damage the other 2 cylinders. The only time it clicks is in idle. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Remove the jet pump and drive shaft. See if the clicking sound goes away.

While you have it off, check the jet pump bearings for slop, smoothness, noise.

How to remove and re-install the Polaris 148mm jet pump

Down and Out

Thanks K447! You don't think its the engine? If it is, will it destroy the engine if its internal?

+1
    300.00 is a lot for a little click.lol for 900 , you can find another motor. complete and running. not just 3 pistons.. was he gonna bore the cylinder and put oversize in them for 900? or just replace rings and hone it? theres a big difference right there..

maybe just the piston pin is worn, thats 15.00. a new rod upper roller bearing is 15.00 also. unless the crank bearing on the journal has slop in it. then thats way mor money to fix.. new crank then.

I have the same ski at 135 across the board so your ok with the comp numbers...

+1
    [QUOTE=ercoachThe only time it clicks is in idle. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Then dont idle it!

Ok Bowsniper fullout!! If she blows will just buy a new one wit my teacher and coach wages in ten years. LOL Thanks for advice. He was going to replace, bore, and hone the three cylinders. Do a whole top end rebuild. If I pull the heads do you think it will reveal the problem or will I have to pull the piston.

+1
    well its all work taking it apart. up to you.. i guess if i could get the jugs off, i would check the slop in the piston pins holding the piston.

they are kinda of a pita to get the piston pins out, you need a sharp pick to grab the cir clips holding the pin in each piston..

usually, you end up take off all three jugs to get at the clips from the sides of the piston.. its a bitch toget the clips off the pins with the other jugs on..

at this point, you could check the crank for debris and the base gaskets for wear/replacing. usually there fine.. Pins are around 15.00 each.. if the piston crowns look good and no nicks or hard scratches on the sides, you could just replace the pins and be done with it.. although, i would check WHY its loose.. is the roller bearing shot? does it look black or grey in color? stock color is grey looking not black looking. that would indicate high heat going on. spin the little roller bearing and check up up close for wear. they are about 15.00 each too..

it should slide onto the pin but not too slooply. but it will glide across the pin easily but closely..

I dont know your motivation level, experience, time money and stuff like. so up to you.. I think its kinda fun learning and spending the time to take it apart and see how everything works. makes ya better and safer rider. you can learn from this and stop problems in the future..

if you do take it apart, people on here will hep you with whatever you need to get it back together. make sure you torque everything and have all the tools to do the job before you start. that would suck to be half way into it and realize you dont have the right tools.lol

TIP!: Find a long socket that fits the size of the pin and place it on the side of the piston with both circlips out first...duh,,,,, then slide that socket in the end of the piston and tap out the piston pin. make sure the socket is the same size and not smaller or else it will get stuck.. but not too small so it slides thru the piston pin.. also put rags around the crankcase openings so if you drop a circlip it doesnt fall into the motor.. that would suck.lol

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    STOP TALKING MOTOR
    1--follow the advice given above
    2--keep your friend/mech away from your stuff
    sorry but to have good comp on all and to say "maybe piston slap ,i can do all 3 for 900" sounds crazzzzyyy
    ok so get the ski someplace you can work on it grab a good video cam and let er rip...
    I could be wrong, he could be wrong,, who knows
    JUST DONT GO SPENDING ANY MONEY YET ,, YOU WILL NEED IT FOR REAL PARTS LATER

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Remove the jet pump and drive shaft. See if the clicking sound goes away.

While you have it off, check the jet pump bearings for slop, smoothness, noise.

How to remove and re-install the Polaris 148mm jet pump

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information