Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

*Updated* Need expert help : ( broken ski

So I will lay this out as neatly as I can, I have not posted much on this forum, only read, because I have NEVER had an issue with my ski!

The ski:
    2006 Seadoo RXP
    59 hours on the clock
    Riva stage 1
    Meticulously maintained

The day:
    Rode all day on the bay, ski ran great, almost out paced my friend's new Yamaha super duper ski. So it was clearly running great.

Was on my way to pull out, down a long, calm straight, at WOT (of corse). Ski abruptly lost power, I let off the throttle instantly and shut the ski down before it even came to a stop. Popped the seat, checked everything visually, no issues. Started it and the trouble began.

Started no problem, but there is a hideous, metal on metal chatter from what sounds like the rear of the engine (very hard to tell in a closed ski hull where the noise is coming from. If it is a SC, as I suspect, the noise may also be traveling to the front of the ski through the intake.

Ski appeared to run and even rev ok (I did not push it because of the noise and quickly shut it down again.) The supercharger sounded to be operational, the distinct gear wine that I always get through my free flow intake was present. This leads be to believe the clutches are still in place, if they disintegrated I would not have an operational SC.

The only other associated symptom I have is while the engine was running after the failure, and when I flushed it quickly, it appeared to not be able to settle into idle on its own. I had to blip the throttle to get it to return to idle. Almost as if it was entering some type of runaway condition like an old diesel.

The ONLY events I can think of leading up to the failure were as follows. I did notice a very slight change in the pitch and intensity of the SC gear wine before the failure. Other then that I had no indications. Throughout the event I had no lights, no oil pressure warnings, nothing.

It is dark now here and I am just down right pissed. I pulled the oil filter and there is a small amount of very, very faint metal flakes in the pleats. These flakes are a very bright silver colored metal.

My plan is to pull the supercharger, as this is my number one culprit for failure.

Needless to say I am very upset. The ski is less then a year out of its BEST coverage and Seadoo will be hearing from me when I diagnose this issue.

While I am a competent back yard mechanic, this failure appears to be beyond my scope. I would however, like to know what is going on before I let a dealer tell me anything they want.

Thank you very much in advance for your input,

Ryan
    Last edited by rdm190; 06-29-2010 at 01:51 PM.

+1
    could be the supercharger bearings which means that your blade probably touched down. take off your elbow between charger and throttle body and see if there is aluminum dust.

Quote Originally Posted by masta2000 View Post
    could be the supercharger bearings which means that your blade probably touched down. take off your elbow between charger and throttle body and see if there is aluminum dust.
    Great idea, I will take both sides of the SC off in the morning before I pull the whole thing.

+1
    not necessary, just take the plastic elbow off and you'll be able to tell right away

not necessary, just take the plastic elbow off and you'll be able to tell right away
    Just did it. Hose is covered with aluminum dust. You got it on the first shot, sure makes me look foolish.

So what is next, what are my options. I am sure the SC is trashed, but what can I do going forward?

+1
    pull the charger out and if you're lucky the bearings are still in the case. in which case you might not have to remove the pto cover. remove your intake manifold and clean it.

to keep thing simple you can remove the head cover and peek into that area and make sure there is nothing wrong with your chain.

pull the charger out and if you're lucky the bearings are still in the case. in which case you might not have to remove the pto cover. remove your intake manifold and clean it.

to keep thing simple you can remove the head cover and peek into that area and make sure there is nothing wrong with your chain.
    I am making an assumption here, but the SC itself will need a total replacement, correct?

+1
    you may be able to salvage the rear housing. but save some time and money and get a complete x-charger for just about the same price as fixing your stock one

Yes, you will need a new or rebuilt sc.

You still must remove and inspect what you have. It's critical that you find every last piece of what used to be your sc.

If you don't.........time and $.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Yes, you will need a new or rebuilt sc.

You still must remove and inspect what you have. It's critical that you find every last piece of what used to be your sc.

If you don't.........time and $.
    I am grasping at straws here but am just needing more into on this. What are the chances that the bearings are intact and findable? Seems like other failures similar to mine have resulted in total engine lockup.

I guess what I am asking is what type of bearing failures are there? I can obviously surmise that we could have a total breakdown of the bearing, breaking it into pieces. What other degrees of failure would result in my impeller "touching down" (I liked that wording by the way, made me laugh at least).

Thank you guys so much already, just knowing what happened will probably help me sleep tonight!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information