Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

90'S Waverrunner III 650 - performance?

Hi,

I'm lookiing for a 3 person PWC that can pull an adult skier. I was looking at newer and more powerful ones but the old Waverunner III's are cheap and I like the look. I have a 90 Waverunner 650 that is listed at 32 hp. It can pull the kids on ski's and me on a kneeboard.

Any info or opinions on the Waverrunner III with the 50 hp 650 is welcome.

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Hi,

I'm lookiing for a 3 person PWC that can pull an adult skier. I was looking at newer and more powerful ones but the old Waverunner III's are cheap and I like the look. I have a 90 Waverunner 650 that is listed at 32 hp. It can pull the kids on ski's and me on a kneeboard.

Any info or opinions on the Waverrunner III with the 50 hp 650 is welcome.

Thanks!
    I just rode one today, my friend has a 95' WRIII. It performed nicely and handles very well, its not very tippy and perfect for 2 riders. By NO MEANS can this thing hold 3 its just too unstable at that point. As for pulling a tube/skis I don't see why it would be a problem the 650 engine should suffice.

Good Luck,

Adam

Thanks for the input.
    Anyone out there that has actually skied behind one of these?

I have been on a Waverunner III since I was able to first ride jet skis. It is quite stable for being an older model. As for holding 3 people...it is somewhat stable with an adult and two children. But, with two average adults it becomes very unstable. It is definitely able to pull a skier, as I have wakeboarded behind mine before.

Turns out the 650LX will do it too.

I was just out this weekend and my '90 650LX will pull me up on two skis no problem. I just never tried it before. We had tried tubes and it couldn't get them going so I never thought it would pull a skier. Not sure I really need another Waverunner now, but might buy one anyway just so we can play on two.
    Thanks for the reply's guys!

I apologise for hijacking this thread, but where do you fasten the tow rope? The 2 holes in the hull say not for towing? I have a 92 650 wav 3 that will not stop running like a champ! (I use the oil pump) Would like to try skiing.

I attached the tow rope to the small metal hook underneath the back of the seat.

Is that what that metal hook is for friend? I was thinking it was just to anchor off. And to answer overkill's orig question. I took my 92 wav3 out last weekend and am just blown away at how these old things run, when running right (picked this up for 250$ with the trailer, needed a broken starter bolt drilled out). I could not open it all the way. There was very little chop and this thing flew. I dont see how you couldnt pull a skier. (need a pipsqueek spotter though)

No, cant do the pipsqueek spotter because she will hit a wave and then the boat and skier will ride over pipsqueek.

Yeah it would definitely pull a skier. My buddy just got one and he likes it alot for an old ski!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information