SL 750 dead in water

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 95 SL 750 this week--love it. Took it out two days, did great. Then Friday came along...

I fired up my ski on the ramp to make sure it would start (thinking good etiquette) put in, tie up, move my trailer, come back, fire it up in the water--starts and idles until I hit the gas and then it stops completely. Try again--same thing. Totally dead.

Load up, head to the shop.

Three new plugs, mechanic fires it up after playing for a while with the choke--no problem.

Back to lake--repeat first paragraph. Back to Mechanic.

Mechanic fires it up. Works great.

Back to lake. Repeat first paragraph. So it runs out of the water just fine (keeping it to 10 seconds or less), but once it's in the water, it cuts off as soon as you open the throttle.

Back to shop. Fires up, but it's a little slow to turn over. Took out for a lake test and said it was running a little lean, but that after it warms up it's fine, except there was some water leaking into the bilge. It also cut off on him. So he's doing some carb adjustment and looking for the leak (flushing and also in hull).

Am I a total idiot? Am I doing something wrong? The mechanic is super-cool and very patient--I'm not very mechanically inclined. I think I have the opposite of the Midas touch with this 750! THANKS!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk/ these skis are prone to have fuel issues.. they usually replace all the fuel lines including the tank if so equppied and drain the seperator, and rebuild the carbs and install a new triple outlet fuel pump..

Also have a fully charge agm battery like an oddssey PC-265. you must have 10.6 or higher volts to start the ski. they are fussy with batteries.. charge yours first.

sounds like the low speed screws are in too much... on here you can look up the specs for that year engine and adjust the screws to factory specs

but really you need to stop buy these parts, follow the guideline here and do it right. your ski is 15 years old now.. its needs maintence or else it will die from fuel starvation..

then your stuck on land the rest of the summer.

just ask and we all will help ya getting er running good and reliable for ya.

Thank you!

I just got off the phone with the mechanic, and told him to do whatever he needed to make things work--I don't want to be stranded on land or in the middle of Lake Jackson! I will keep you posted as soon as he gets back to me. JP

+1
    Holy Crap, You told a mechanic WHAT?

Is he going to take you to dinner and give you a kiss on the mouth first

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

These old Polaris need some care before you jump on them and start riding around the lake.

Click below, and start reading

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?
    What to do to get it running, keep it running, and avoid potential damage

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

Oh no!!!

I meant do what he needs to do to tune up the carbs and find the water leak--he said everything else is fine.

And I took him a 6-pack of beer.

Thanks for the links! I've been doing a bunch of research and am always looking for more sources. I don't think I did anything wrong, and I had it checked out before I bought it.

I'll let you know when I get back out on Monday or Tuesday!

Not trying to tell you what to do but I would bring beer to the mechanic AFTER the work is done. LOL Good Luck and have fun!!!

Hey Clayton,

I figured it would be like buying pizza for the movers, you know? I'll let you guys know how everything goes when I get the ski back on Tuesday and get back in the water, hopefully!

Thread Information