Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought a 00 951 Di, Why is everyone so down on them??

Bought a 951 di with a blown motor, rebuilt the engine with weisco pistons am just completeing the breakin procedure. WHY IS EVERYONE BADMOUTHING THE 951 DI? Is it a crappy desighn? I have heard convert to carbs etc. Do people just not know how to maintain or what? Do I need to sell this thing or ?

+1
    when they run they are great. when they break they are a PITA to diagnoise and expensive to fix.

+1
    +1

I would not say I have ever badmouthed a DI but I would not own one.

1. for just about any issue you need BUDS.

2. I like to work on my own stuff.

3. They do not lend themselves to mods, if that is your want.

4. I like carbed 951s.

Well if everyones main concern is buds. Whats the real problem? I have a shop, I dont have buds. But have thought about getting it, (if seadoo is willing to sell it to a non dealer). I know the fuel pumps are expensive, but the engine is basic. mpem can be expensive, but they dont just die everyday. What are the real problems? I have read that they blow alot. Is there a real issue with the engine itself or just the electronics?
    All I know is the advantages of a fuel injected engine have the potential to outlast a carbed engine ten times over. No I dont care to mod it. I just want to hit start and ride! If I want a modded ski, I'll just buy a superchared 4 stroke.
    Thanks for any info..
    Oh, and btw.. To the gentleman that works at the "Shop". that puts carbs on them when people abandon their skis.. Sounds Like you charge way too much for repairs and leave them no choice. I would never De-tune a ski, nor advise a customer do so.. Seems Kinda shady, but thats just my two cents..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gvnitup View Post
    Well if everyones main concern is buds. Whats the real problem? I have a shop, I dont have buds. But have thought about getting it, (if seadoo is willing to sell it to a non dealer).
    a local shop here tried to get buds. it is insanely expensive, both the unit and the yearly fee . so much so that you can only justify the cost of if you are a dealer or a major repair shop.

There is a company that will have a diagnostic system for sale in about a month or so that can do all you need to do to diagnose and repair DI's. ( as well as all 2 strokes, carb, RFI, DI and the 4-tec's....)

They will be making an announcement soon about this system. They will have a version for the DIY owner as well as a version for independent shops. I think you will find the system will be very reasonably priced.

I believe it will change how people perceive the DI skis. They are not that difficult to work on if you have a system like this to understand all that is happening on them.......

Stay tuned.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    There is a company that will have a diagnostic system for sale in about a month or so that can do all you need to do to diagnose and repair DI's. ( as well as all 2 strokes, carb, RFI, DI and the 4-tec's....)

They will be making an announcement soon about this system. They will have a version for the DIY owner as well as a version for independent shops. I think you will find the system will be very reasonably priced.

I believe it will change how people perceive the DI skis. They are not that difficult to work on if you have a system like this to understand all that is happening on them.......

Stay tuned.......

That's sweet news to hear. What company? Is there any advance info to read on it?

+1
    If someone is reccomending putting carbs ON the DI engine then he is blowing smoke up you-know-where. There is so much wrong with that statement that is boggles the mind.

In the instances that someone does not wish to keep it a DI they replace the engine itself with a carbed 951 (along with the assorted periferals that go along with it).

Now, IMO, to do so is not de-tuning a boat. I have ridden DIs, even one with a PPG kit installed that was supposed to be THE upgrade for the system and I was simply not impressed. My carb equiped 951s in the same hull were faster, accelerated better, and cost a LOT less.

Even in stock form, a carbed 951 is equal to, or better than a DI in all ways EXCEPT fuel economy. You can add to that some factor of user friendliness with the DI IF it does not go boobs up on you (starts easy, every time, ect) where the carbed engines can be, well, a bit needy from time to time.

Anyway, this is just my .02. It will be nice to have the computer interface available for John Q. Public. I am not telling you not to own one, I merely state why I would not own one.

I'd still like to know where Sea Dood got this information. From digging around some sounds like SBT has come out with something for the 4tecs. The only diagnostic tool option (if you can call it that) for the DI I've found info on is the Scan-Sea. The extremely high price and mixed opinions on how it performs make that a no go. So I'll ask again. Sea Dood, What are the 4 W's on this thing. Ya know, Who , what, where , when? Can you add anything to your post? Inquiring minds want to know.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

SBT tool

The SBT tool is more proof on the concept that a third party can decipher the Seadoo comm protocol. It makes keys and does other basic comm stuff ( monitor engine temp sensors and voltage, trigger the pump, coils and injectors ( like I need a tool to check for a bad injector) I bought it so I could make 4-tec keys.

No doubt other functions can be added, but it still has to be shaky ground, since BRP has more legal resources, and even if it puts up a BS lawsuit, it could cost money.

Case in point. I spent close to 20 years working as a software engineer at a Japanese camera company. "Some guy" who managed to get a patent on something basic to digital imaging claimed infringement on a bunch of companies ( including Adobe) and anybody who had software that drew images on screen using a certain method ( yes, I have to be deliberately vague here).

Everybody paid him, rather then risk a court cacse with flattening possibilities.

I wouldn't doubt that BRP said " go ahead. make keys and basic functions, but if you try to do "this", we're coming after you.

I'm getting off point here however.

Scan sea saw enough of a market to add di functionality to scan sea, but without your basic knowhow and skills, it's not going to be of very much help to most folks.

The big downside of the DI is the very very high price of replacement bits for the orbital FI system. And the high price of engine cases that are intact.

I've managed to deal with most di issues without making expensive guesses, but I'd admit that having a spare parts collection is a must for any shop planning to work on Di's on a regular basis.

Good reason to buy a di with a blown motor, even if you never intend on fixing it.

Any car or ski that was made for just a few years is always trouble. Try to find a distributor for a fiat spyder..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information