Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2001 Yamaha 1200XLT bogging down on water but fine on trailer

I checked the threads and found a few situations similar but none having exactly my situation. I am new to PWC, boating yes but this is my first PWC. Background: Sat for two years, started and used maybe three times. I tested it for a 10 minute ride and it ran great, fast and smooth. I took it out today, after 5 minutes it bogged down and would not run over 3000rpm. It stalled at idle a few times, then after ten minutes it went up to 6000 rpm and sounded better but bogged down again. Brought home and hooked up hose, bogged for about two minutes then ran like a champ. Restarted again twice in a three hour time frame and it ran great, on the trailer. Compression 123, 125, 128 on each. I changed plugs just now. Fuel has been in for two years, I took as much out as I could and filled up adding additive. Do you think old fuel or carbs or something worse. I am reading up as much as possible and will take out tomorrow again, just thought I would get some help.

Thanks

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Probably carbs, get them rebuilt/rejetted before you lean seize it...

Thanks, I guess after two years of sitting it is time. I ran it on the water again today and same thing. I will search the web for a good rebuild kit. I am trying to find a 2001 Yamaha service manual but only find the years before and after.

Jets question....What turns should I use on the carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
    Thanks, I guess after two years of sitting it is time. I ran it on the water again today and same thing. I will search the web for a good rebuild kit. I am trying to find a 2001 Yamaha service manual but only find the years before and after.

Jets question....What turns should I use on the carbs.
    +1 on the carb rebuild, especially if it's been sitting for two years. Unless you know you put extra STA-BIL in the tank, siphon it all out and put in a fresh tank. My 2000 XL1200LTD started bogging real bad at the start of this season, and it ended up being the fuel filter.

Also, since you'll need to pull the stinger off, it's a good time to replace the cat with a d-plate. Search around. Lots of posts on this.

Stock carb settings below, though you'll need to drill out the plugs first:

1200R - not adjustable stock, Low: 1-1/8 All
    High: MAG 1-1/4, CTR 1-1/4, PTO 1-1/2

-Boudin

+1 Carbs

I am going to drain the fuel and change the fuel filter tonight. Should I drain the oil as well?

Yamaha has $370 rebuild kit for all three carbs, seems liike alot of parts for just a rebuild. Other places have single rebuilds for $49 each. Any recommendations?

Thanks

60% of the time, it works every time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
    I am going to drain the fuel and change the fuel filter tonight. Should I drain the oil as well?

Yamaha has $370 rebuild kit for all three carbs, seems liike alot of parts for just a rebuild. Other places have single rebuilds for $49 each. Any recommendations?
    Use the kit recommended by 'upgraded', or SBT carries the carb kits for $49.95 ea: http://www.shopsbt.com/yam-2001-xl1200/35-180Y.html

I would probably change the oil as well. However, I strongly suggest you consider going to premix. The Yamaha's are notorious for oil lines wriggling off the carbs. Do some searches and see what other say about this.

-Boudin

+1
    Does it have a D-plate in it? if not you might have an issue with the catlytic convertor. Yamaha has $370 carb rebuild kits? Damn I'm not charging enough Stay away from The SBT kits you get what you pay for. use Genuine Mikuni Kits, that's what Yamaha is marking up repackaged and selling you.

I have not opened the stinger yet to check for cat. I will do that Wed night. I will keep looking for rebuild kits then. Thanks for links.

Matt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information