2003 Polaris Genesis i 1200 starting issue

I have a 2003 genesis i 1200 coming out of storage that will not start. Brand new battery, good winterization last fall, kept in warm garage over winter. Spark ok on all but one. turns over but will not fire up. We have over 425 hours on this unit. Could this be the on board computer? And, if so how do I find and install this part (dealer thinks this is the cause and wants $1,700 for the job). Your thoughts.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada

Arrow Checking the Ficht EMM and stator for correct voltage output

Welcome to the Hulk

425 hours
    good to hear about the higher running time machines holding up

As a test, spray a small amount of fuel down all three throttle bodies, stand back, and see if it starts.

I suggest you work through the basic tests, just to cover the bases.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Cylinder compression. Nothing to do with spark, but good to check anyways.

Unplug the 3-pin TPS sensor at the rear of the throttle body. See if it starts.

My guess is that the EMM needs repair. The following will help determine that.

Tap your multi-meter into the White/Red wires somewhere, without unplugging a fuel injector. This is the 45 volt system that powers the EMM and fuel injectors.

When the engine is cranking (lanyard in place), the White/Red wires should jump to over 20 volts. When the engine starts, the voltage jumps again to over 40 volts.

If the White/Red wire voltage stays well below 20 volts, then there is a problem with the EMM or the stator.

Stator coils (unplug the 12-pin connector on the EMM) can be tested for ohms, and AC stator voltage measured while cranking. There are five stator coils - three for the 45 volt system, two for battery charging.

None of the coils should have any continuity to engine ground. Coil ohms are very low, but should measure similar numbers for the three and two.

When cranking, the three main stator coils should put out about 5 volts AC (while unplugged from the EMM). The other two coils should be around 7 volts AC.

1 AND 12 7VAC 0.3 - 0.5 ohms
    2 AND 11 7VAC 0.3 - 0.5 ohms
    3 AND 10 5VAC 0.3 - 0.5 ohms
    4 AND 9 5VAC 0.1 - 0.3 ohms
    5 AND 8 5VAC 0.1 - 0.3 ohms

Sometimes the magnets inside the flywheel come loose and cause damage. Remove the CPS sensor, and look for any signs of damage, metal dust or debris. The CPS sensor ohms should be under 200.

If the stator is good, and the White/Red voltage is low, then the EMM needs repair.

DFI Technologies - Repair service for Polaris Ficht EMM modules
    DFI Technologies
    22638 Canal Rd, Unit B
    Orange Beach, AL
    USA 36561
    +1 (251) 974-5210 Voice
    +1 (251) 974-5226 FAX
    Last edited by K447; 06-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks...I'll give it a try. However, may not have the right tools to check this out. Regarding the hours, what is average? And, what might need replacement with hours reaching 425.
    Thanks again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    ..Regarding the hours, what is average?

And, what might need replacement with hours reaching 425?...
    There is a wide range of hours per year usage, depending on the owner, the climate (winter or no winter), and so on.

The main thing to monitor is cylinder compression. As long as the compression numbers for all cylinders are high enough, and more importantly, within 5% or less of each other, then the engine is doing fine.

If you notice that the compression on one cylinder is becoming noticeably lower than the others, or all cylinders are developing lower compression, then that signals it is time for a 'top end' refresh.

There is no specific hour number for requiring an engine rebuild.

The engine will continue to run as long as the crank shaft bearings hold up, along with the pistons. The beauty of a 2-stroke engine is that there are very few moving parts inside.

Your job is to maintain the parts that keep the engine alive inside. Make sure the cooling hoses, fuel and oil lines, and electrical system cables are well secured. No leaks, nothing rubbing against something and wearing a hole.

If you don't have one, buy a half decent compression gauge, and learn how to use it properly. Measure and record the readings every so often and keep a simple log of the readings over time. You will be able to see if there is a trend or sudden change in compression.

There are a number of maintenance items listed by Polaris that help keep the entire machine in good condition.

Another way to monitor engine health is to watch the maximum sustained RPM while riding on the water at full power. In similar weather conditions (mainly temperature and humidity), the engine should achieve similar max RPM.

If the max RPM becomes lower, that is a signal to re-check compression. It is normal for max RPM to vary some with the weather, but a consistent or sudden drop in maximum RPM is a flag that something has changed.

To minimize internal engine damage, do not continue to ride the machine once you are aware of a change in the engine. A simple repair can become much more expensive if you 'push' the engine when something is not right.
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks...That's all good stuff. If I had known prior to this I would have had a better idea of actual condition. Please keep sending facts.

I had the same issue with my 2001 Genesis 2 years ago. It turned out to be a fuse. It was the 1/4 amp fuse located in the back of the black box located on the inside wall of the engine compartment. Is your multi function display working?

Plymouth, UK
    I have the same problem...

I have the non-injection engine, but have fuel in all cyclinders, sparks in all three cyclinders and the thing wont even try to fire??! I cant understand what it could be other than the timing of the sparks??

Any help on this please?

Cabot Arkansas
    I am not well versed on the carbed models but I would suggest you check the hall effects sensor. Maybe some of the other guys on here with experience on your model will chime in and give you some other things to look at. Cheers.

Thread Information