Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some trailer updates..

One of the things I have always hated about my trailer was the tires. I always felt that a trailer of this size should have larger tires. My original goal was to flip the axles to the top of the springs to lower the height of the trailer and still retain the OEM fenders. Well, that was out the window immediately, even with only a 175/80/13 tire....imagine if I got the 205/75/14's I wanted (but knew wouldn't fit).

So I didn't lower the trailer at all - in fact it is a bit higher now with the larger tires - but I feel much better about using the trailer now rather than with the 5.30-12 tires that were on there previously....these are about 1.5" wider.

Oh - free to good home, some used 5.30-12 tires, 5x4-1/2 lug pattern. Good mostly for spares. Figured I'd offer them up to anyone local (NY/NJ/CT/PA area) if they could be of use. If so, email me and we can figure out how to get them to you. I can ship, but don't recommend it - but if someone not local wants one or some, I have 3 boxes I can use to ship.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00758_109.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00756_213.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00755_117.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	584  

+1
    Looks great Pete. I really like them tires. What's the load capacity and make?

I'm running 14" on mine but I'm concerned about my trailer with those heavy azz 4 strokes. Also, I like how your axle is more centered than mine. I've got so much tounge weight I ended up installing an equalizer.

nice ride.

i would love a 4 placer if i had the room.

I bought the tires from Eastern Marine (easternmarine.com) - they were by far the least expensive and service was great...ordered on Monday night, at my door Wed.

Don't recall the manufacturer, but I can check...they are load range C which for that size is 1360# a tire. 4 skis, fuel and a steel trailer that has been additionally reinforced combined with the diamond plate on the front bunks and I'm sure that I am close to the GVWR of the trailer...so I wanted tires that would exceed that.

east marine sells load star tires, a great tire. i order all of my tires from them. Way cheaper even with shipping than local.

+1
    Thanks for the link.

Welcome....

How much tongue weight are you running?

I've never measured mine but then again I'm not overly concerned about it with the dually. I've thought about moving the axle assembly back a bit because by leaving the two skis on the back bunks, it was actually bending the steel a bit....why the GTX is sitting up front while in storage. Next winter I will put them both up front to relieve the stress on the beams.

+1
    Funny you mentioning the stress on the rear beams, I've noticed the same thing. Check out the picture.

When I have all 4 loaded with gas in the containers, I've got almost 900lbs of tounge weight. Lately I've only been running with 3 Doo's. That knocks the tounge weight down to 400 lbs. Check out the picture and notice how far back my wheels are compaired to yours. You can see the equalizer in the picture.

I'm thinking about modding the trailer this winter. Make the winches removeable like yours using pins, get rid of the lift (100+ lbs) then decking the entire trailer and going to removable bunks. Making the bunks removable give me the ability to move and adjust were I put them when I load. I enjoy the welding but I hate the mess I make when I paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_front_391.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_back_168.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	595  

I can take some close up pictures of my winch assemblies for you if you want.

My front bunks are removable, although not as easily as I would like them to be. My goal next year is to actually utilize the trailer and have the skis and atv's on it for a week somewhere (Norris????)

My winter plans are to add fenders like yours so I can swap the axles and lower the trailer 5". Had I measured correctly the first time, I would have known I needed fenders no matter what and would have taken the 225/75/15's from the car trailer and purchased new rims/tires for the car trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information