+1

What would you do?

Ok, I've got a issue and was wondering what the group thought about it.

I bought this ski a year and a half ago. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82743

Last summer it lost the center cylinder while I was riding it. I have since started to part it out in the classified section.

Someone contacted me about the stator and CDI. I told them it came from a running ski (until it lost a cylinder) and I would sell the pair w/o warranty because they were electrical parts. The buyer agreed and I boxed the items and sent them off.

The seller then contacts me and says that even though he doesn't expect anything in return he wanted me to know the stator was bad. He said that the box arrived in good condition but that someone told him shipping could have caused a 13 yo stator to go bad.

I told the buyer that I found it hard to believe the stator was bad but if he shipped it back to me and I could verify it was bad I would send another one to him. I still haven't tested the original or the replacement but if both do indeed test bad where do I as a seller stand?

If you were the seller what would you do?

If you were the buyer what would you do?

+1
    First off, you didnt test it before you sent it right? If thats true, maybe he blew it up or it was bad to begin with,, your kinda hit there.. no way now to tell it was good before youe sent it..

since the piston blew, its not gonna hurt the electrical system.

maybe he didnt test it correctly like you would and he needs guidience in testing the stator correctly or you test it for him correctly.

Have him sent it back and you test it. if its bad, its on you..

give him that portion of the money back or if he fuss's about that, just say ok full refund!.

If I was the buyer, i would want a good one that works, teasting it out or not, you said it worked, im going on your word.. I guess I trust people with a look in thier eye and a handshake. or if you find it its bad, then its my testing procedure and i'll install it. you had it working on your ski running and it should work for me..

You could make coasters out of them for your living room if there bad!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Electrical parts can fail just from the handling involved in removing them, packaging them, and shipping.

Wires and connections can become fragile with age.

Sometimes just flexing a wire or connector can cause something to fail inside.

Are you sure you received the same one that you shipped? One thing you have no control over is their ability to install correctly or test correctly. I think you already have yourself covered.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

switcharoo

anytime i sell a part that could have the switcharoo done i make it in a way that only i would know to look for.then if they send me their broken one on THEiR nickle i'll tell'em tough $*&t for trying to rip me off.guy might have swapped cdi's and his ski fired up.

+1
    get paid first, then mark your secret spot on it and then if they mail it back, you know it was good and you can tell if it was switched on ya.

guess its like a junkyard. no returns on electrical parts!

+1
    tony would not screw some one over. if he said the stator came from a running ski.. it came from a running ski.. you told him it w/o warranty. is this a updated cdi? or org?

i would have it sent back to you so you can test it.. ii have a hard time thinking its bad from shipping.. but if it was the org stator then that could be your issue..

everything i got from tony was more then i asked for and packaged good!

i think you are on the right track.. get it back and test it.

but txpro has a point he could have swapped it

good luck man

+1

Son of a biscuit!!!

I got home from work today and found a beat all to hell rain soaked box on my kitchen porch!!

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    guess its like a junkyard. no returns on electrical parts!
    I sold it w/o warranty but I'm not a hard ass

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Electrical parts can fail just from the handling involved in removing them, packaging them, and shipping.
    Does that include a rain soaked box?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton G View Post
    Are you sure you received the same one that you shipped?
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    anytime i sell a part that could have the switcharoo done i make it in a way that only i would know to look for
    I didn't mark it because I sold it w/o warranty, and the fact it came from a running ski.

I have no reason to doubt the buyer, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    tony would not screw some one over. if he said the stator came from a running ski.. it came from a running ski.

everything i got from tony was more then i asked for and packaged good!
    Thanks for the feedback! I bet you had one hell of a time opening the last box I sent you.

Well, bottom line is I sold it w/o warranty, and the return shipping box is wet and beat all to hell. I'm not going to waste my time with installing and testing it. I just refunded the buyer for the stator but NOT for the CDI, which he still has possession of. I think that's not only fair but above and beyond any obligation I have.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I got home from work today and found a beat all to hell rain soaked box on my kitchen porch!!

I sold it w/o warranty but I'm not a hard ass

Does that include a rain soaked box?

I didn't mark it because I sold it w/o warranty, and the fact it came from a running ski.

I have no reason to doubt the buyer, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for the feedback! I bet you had one hell of a time opening the last box I sent you.

Well, bottom line is I sold it w/o warranty, and the return shipping box is wet and beat all to hell. I'm not going to waste my time with installing and testing it. I just refunded the buyer for the stator but NOT for the CDI, which he still has possession of. I think that's not only fair but above and beyond any obligation I have.

haha it was a pita to open but im not complaining!

i agree you went above and beyond as the seller

Thread Information