Installed Mikuni Fuel Pump But Still Get No Gas, Help Please!

Hey guys,
    I have a 1995 Polaris SL 650. I just installed today a brand new Mikuni triple fuel pump onto the ski as it was clear the ski was getting no gas at all to the carbs.

If I spray starter fluid into them it starts right up until the starter fluid burns off...

So after the install, I set it up according to the directions in here, pulse line is coming from crank down below to the pulse line, fuel lines go to the 3 carbs, etc.

The tubes are clear so I am watching them as it is trying to start, and there is no gas going through them.

Also, the water / gas separator where the gas comes from then goes to the fuel pump them to the carbs is not filling up.

Is that a problem with my fuel sender? If I fill that water / gas separator though there is still no gas being pulled from it....

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm 99% sure I have the fuel pump installed correctly, followed the directions exactly. Why would it not pull fuel? Shouldn't I see gas going through the brand new clear tubes?

Thanks,
    VIc

check the pick up tubes in the tank, or if you have the other style check there, also fuel valve can leak & cause lack of or very lttle flow. Also make sure your pulse line and fuel in line are correct.

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vicbomb5 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a 1995 Polaris SL 650. I just installed today a brand new Mikuni triple fuel pump onto the ski as it was clear the ski was getting no gas at all to the carbs.

If I spray starter fluid into them it starts right up until the starter fluid burns off...

So after the install, I set it up according to the directions in here, pulse line is coming from crank down below to the pulse line, fuel lines go to the 3 carbs, etc.

The tubes are clear so I am watching them as it is trying to start, and there is no gas going through them.

Also, the water / gas separator where the gas comes from then goes to the fuel pump them to the carbs is not filling up.

Is that a problem with my fuel sender? If I fill that water / gas separator though there is still no gas being pulled from it....

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm 99% sure I have the fuel pump installed correctly, followed the directions exactly. Why would it not pull fuel? Shouldn't I see gas going through the brand new clear tubes?

Thanks,
    VIc
    Yeah I ran into the same problem when I changed the stock fuel pump on my 750 sl. In the end, I filled the water/gas separator (as you have done) AND temporarily removing the gas cap and then starting it did the trick. Hope this helps

+1
    Check your compression and pulse line. If you have no pulse, you get no fuel

Lay the pump in the bottom of the hull, I'll bet it will start !!!

+1
    DO NOT SET IT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE SKI! if theres gunk in your cases, it will flow out into the pulse line and get into the diaphrams and it wont start for sure..

+1
    you pulse line should be above the fuel pump. period. the line should be under 12 inches also.. did you tie wrap anything? or use clamps?
    just asking...

was there a restrictor used in your old hose routings? which diagram exactly did you follow? berrdarts?

dd you fill the water seperator completely with 2-cycle/gas mix? a what ratio? it should be 40/1 3.2 ozs per gall 1 pt per 5 gallons/

Is the reserve switch on off or ??????

did you try priming the carbs with gas?

do not use starting fluid. it could cause a small explosion in the cases and blow out your reeds.. bad idea.. no lube in there revving it either..

does your system have an auto cock? if yes, that should be gone on the new hose routing/

do you have tank hoses and pickups in the tank? or does it have a fuel aluminum sender? did you check the float inside there? it should float halfway high in the water. its it 1/8th floating or sinking, its junk..

did you mess with the carb settings? the screws?

you could have a air leak somewhere. do you see bubbles moving in the line? can detach one of the carb feed lines and see fuel coming out as ya crank?

is the pump used? was it rebuilt wrong? these are all possibilities and theres more too.. just cant think of it right offf hand.lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blegan View Post
    check the pick up tubes in the tank, or if you have the other style check there, also fuel valve can leak & cause lack of or very lttle flow. Also make sure your pulse line and fuel in line are correct.
    Bingo. The other day I pulled the tank on my '94 750 project ski to clean everything. When I removed the pickup assembly the tubing just crumbled. There were pieces of tubing in the bottom of the tank and the pickup screens were laying down there are well.

I'm willing to bet if you pull the pickup assembly and install new tubing you'll start to get fuel flow to the carbs.

KJ

I had almost the same issue with my tank. there were all kinds of short peices of hose 4 in tank filters. The only pick up that actually might even pick up was 1/2 the hose, Also theres a rubber gasket around pick up tubes be sure and replace if necessary. Start at the tank & work your way back, im sure youll find the problem pretty easy.

Thread Information