Intake Grate Disaster

I had to remove the intake grate on my wvt760 to untangle my impeller (sucked up a rope). When I took the bolts out, 4 of the 8 intake grate bolts sheared off. Now I'm having an absolute disaster getting the remainder of the bolts out. After mass drilling, heating and easyout breaking, I'm thinking of taking the entire piece to a machine shop to have the holes drilled out and redone.

New issue is that I can't figure out how to get the tunnel part (where the grate was bolted in) out of the ski. Looks like there's some long bolts holding the jet, the pump, and all that crap together. Will I have to remove the driveshaft too? Am I in over my head? How did a rope turn into this much of a mess?!?!

SAVE MEEEEE!!!

Update since there aren't any responses:

I'm attempting to remove the entire pump unit. I got all the bolts out that I can see, however the unit still doesnt want to budge. Looking at the schematics, I'm confused about part number 33. Do I need to remove that as well?

Schematics here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=59&B=10

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hot_wire View Post
    New issue is that I can't figure out how to get the tunnel part (where the grate was bolted in) out of the ski. Looks like there's some long bolts holding the jet, the pump, and all that crap together. Will I have to remove the driveshaft too? Am I in over my head? How did a rope turn into this much of a mess?!?!

SAVE MEEEEE!!!
    The tunnel part is called the "shoe". The only thing that holds that in is the pump and it sounds like you have already taken that off. It is just pushed into the impeller housing and a rubber o-ring seals that. It gets corroded between the shoe and the impeller housing make it a pain to pull it back. I had to keep pulling and jiggling the thing to get it out of my 95 Wave Venture. I left the pump on, but took out the 6 bolts holding the pump unit to the hull. It was easier to grab and pull on the pump unit. I was trying to pry forward a bit, but you risk damaging the shoe and the fiberglass if your not careful. Some people had mentioned tying a come-along to the pump and pulling, but I think you would have to be really careful with that. It should come straight out the back.

After you get it out, it may be easier/cheaper to just buy another shoe from someone on the site or eBay or such. Drilling, tapping, etc. may not be worth the trouble.

Thanks for the help! Saved me some hassle. I'll just keep fighting the good fight and hopefully pull pump/impeller/shoe/everything out in one big tug.

Just to be sure - the prop and driveshaft will all come out with the assembly? I haven't done anything to loosen the shaft...

+1
    Just to be sure - the prop and driveshaft will all come out with the assembly? I haven't done anything to loosen the shaft...
    Correct. The end of the impeller shaft just has splines on it that mate inside of the mid-shaft (also known as the intermediate shaft). That is why it needs to be pulled straight back, because the impeller shaft is inside the mid-shaft.

Turns out 4 college guys were not enough to pull the thing out. May be moving to the comealong now...

+1
    Turns out 4 college guys were not enough to pull the thing out. May be moving to the comealong now...
    Make sure to move it up and down and side to side as much as possible while pulling. There is probably quite a bit of corrosion between the intermediate shaft housing and the shoe. Just be very careful as you will also be putting stress on the intermediate shaft housing which is mounted to the fiberglass plate in the middle of the ski. Just make sure to keep "working" it to free it up. Best of luck.

Thread Information