Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

still having problems with 95 800 xp

hi everyone, still having problems keeping it running for more the first ten minutes... all this started happening when i blew the exhaust hose and it filled with water.. the pistons and the rest of the motor did not get wet. i replaced al fuel lines and oil lines and cleaned the carb.. maybe the electrical got damaged? the seadoo people seam to think that it could need a new starter kit.. but thats like 800 to 1000 bucks!! does anyone else have any other ideas before i spend that kind of money...

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    800 to 1000 they are spoon feeding you shit.
    when you cleaned the carbs did you just like spray them with carb cleaner or did you actually took them apart, cleaned the inner filters and rebuilt them?

also the fuel selector knob needs to be cleaned, you just cant get away with replacing the fuel lines, the whole fuel system needs to be serviced.

please don't pay 800-1000 for a new "starter kit" First of all, 800-1000 dollars would be more like all new electrical parts, and that is at dealer price. So don't do that.

If it is really a starter kit maybe you missed the decimal $8.00 - $10.00 which is a good price lol.

Anyways if you work with the people here we can most likely figure out your problem for far less then that.

Remind us what you have done (with detail) so far so we can start giving you ideas of new things to try.

Like this:

Problem: wont run more than 10 minutes ( does it always die right at ten minutes, what are the conditions when it dies, how does it die, what does it do next?

Replaced: fuel lines and cleaned carbs---is that is?

have you tired the rectifier, or riding with out the seat?

-edit - or just re bump your last thread (i think i recall you had one) so we can see what was suggested already

So far I have replaced all of the tempo fuel lines, cleaned the selector switch, tore the carbs down and cleaned. I did not find much debris in the carbs or selector switch, the old lines were still plyable and not starting to detiorate any. The new development is one of the rave valves on the exhaust. It was leaking some dark oil from the back side. I took it off and tore it down and cleaned it pretty good and checked the diaphram for any tears, found none. The paddle was not tightened all the way, hoping that maybe this was the problem.

Just to refresh the original problem, the ski runs great for about 10 min. then it shuts down immediately, no spit or sputter. It will start back up, but as soon as I hit the throttle, it stalls. It will start a few more times and idle, then it will quit starting all together. If it sits for 30 to 45 min. it will start and run almost at half throttle, just enough to get me back to the dock. I am thinking that something is warming up and causing the problem. Hoping that it is the exhaust gases, if not, going to check the rectifier next. Is the cover to the rectifier box as hard to get back on as the vts box cover? I sure hope not.

this is kind of an odd problem, so all we can really do is give you some ideas and hope something works.

You need to note everything the machine is doing to help describe the problem.

This is what I would do next. Gather a list of possible problems and go out and start eliminating them. I would do the following.

Start it up and ride with out the seat closed (just half way open). If it shuts down after 10 minutes like normal it is not exhaust leaking.

If it does shut down then pull the spark plugs while you are on the water. Note what the tip looks like. Is it wet? Put a new set in and try to start it.

This will tell you a lot of issues just by looking at the plugs at shut down. That is where i would start for your next ride. Maybe others will toss in some ideas to check while you are out. Most likely this will point you in the direction you need to go. If everything looks good with the above test it might be electrical, and we can work on some other ideas.

Also does it smoke a lot?

It does not smoke alot, just the little that is normal.

Did you check the fuel/water separator?

+1
    try riding it with the gas cap off or cracked open.

when it dies, does it just shut off? does it sputter to a stop? bog out?
    when trying to restart, does it turn over? sputter but not catch? run at all?

When it dies, the engine bogs to any throttle response and slows down and dies. When re-starting, it starts normal and idles, but any throttle movement causes the engine to die. After a few of these start and idles, the engine will only turn and fire once or twice, but not catch and run.

As far as the fuel/water seperator, where is it located? I did remove & clean the filter and housing that is mounted on the underside of the dash. Not sure if this is the seperator or not, just thought it was an inline filter.

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    try riding it with the gas cap off or cracked open.

when it dies, does it just shut off? does it sputter to a stop? bog out?
    when trying to restart, does it turn over? sputter but not catch? run at all?

His symptom: Just to refresh the original problem, the ski runs great for about 10 min. then it shuts down immediately, no spit or sputter. It will start back up, but as soon as I hit the throttle, it stalls. It will start a few more times and idle, then it will quit starting all together. If it sits for 30 to 45 min. it will start and run almost at half throttle, just enough to get me back to the dock.

For sure check to make sure it's not vapor locking. However I personally have never had a vapor lock just restart immediately. Not until the vapor lock is relieved. When you get it to the point it won't start at all I would check spark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information