+1

bogging mid rpms + oil blowing through

2008 250x done oil change before race weekend old oil had a very slight hint of topper on it,saturday moto ran fine then sunday had four races and moto 2 it started bogging (felt a bit like real bad turbo lag)seen gunk in the airbox tube so pulled all intercooler cleaned a load of gunk from there then done the same again
    in the next races and now more gunk in the airbox tube . the top end speed was still there but would just lose power on the holeshot and out of turns and then just come back checked belt and pulley's also did not seem like a problem there ...
    gonna change the oil again but don't want it happening next race .. any ideas ...? is the oil bowby causing the power loss ??

+1
    i would say yes, how much is in the catch can

+1
    it doesn't seem to be collecting much in the catch can, mostly in the intercooler
    i tried a different oil and filter last change so i'm gonna go back to oem stuff

Hudsta, how much oil are you putting in ? I put 4qts to try and keep my I.C. from getting gunked up.

+1
    just under 4 litres , i always keep it 3/4 to the line when the motor is level.
    i think maybe the synthetic racing oil i put in this time is too thin as it is not highly tuned as i'm stock class pluss maybe got a bit of water in ther as them stupid vacumm cleaner hoses keep popping off the airbox ( again gotta keep it stock though )
    also gonna check the airbox see if that bit has come loose in there that others have mentioned cos the way it is pausing power delivery is like it starving of air for a second before kicking in .

+1
    okay, just had a bit of browse to see if i can figure what is going on , i haven't changed the oil yet but intercooler is indeed gunked again , air intake is fine , also checked spark plugs and the one on cylinder 4 is white as hell round the electrode does this mean that is running rich or lean or can be from overheat ? why would it be on just one plug could it just be crap plug ?

thanks Dave

+1
    swap the plugs around i.e. 3 to 4 and see if it follows it then crap plug. if not could be lean on that cylinder. maybe you have dropped a compression ring and are blowing oil through the catch can. time for a compression test. m2c.

+1
    i changed the plugs took a took a little oil out as it was still a little high tottally when level cleared alll the intercooler gunk (again!)and dried thoroughly, checked the air intake, checked the belt tension etc etc, took out just for rec use with the family and seemed okay, but when i went on my own and started really hammering round the course it started bogging again and even totally cut out once it bogged so much , i left it at the dealer now he thinks it maybe supercharger trouble i'm hoping it's not but will have to see.
    Has anyone else had similar issues ??

Thread Information