Fist time out, am I forgetting anything

I searched for something similar to this on the board but I never found anything. Maybe I'm searching wrong.

I just need to be reminded of anything I might be forgetting before taking my 02 GTI out for the first time. I used fogging oil, and fuel stabilizer, to winterize it but i don't think I need to do anything different about that. The battery is good and charged. The 2-stroke oil looks good.

Would you suggest I do anything else before I start it up (i.e. check impeller oils)

Thanks in advance

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    does it still have the grey fuel lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    I searched for something similar to this on the board but I never found anything. Maybe I'm searching wrong.

I just need to be reminded of anything I might be forgetting before taking my 02 GTI out for the first time. I used fogging oil, and fuel stabilizer, to winterize it but i don't think I need to do anything different about that. The battery is good and charged. The 2-stroke oil looks good.

Would you suggest I do anything else before I start it up (i.e. check impeller oils)

Thanks in advance

Changing out the pump oil wouldn't be a bad idea. It's not hard to do. You want to use the proper sealants and loctite on bolts. Most people here will probably recommend doing that annually as part of winterization. If water gets in it during the summer you want to get it out and figure out why it is getting in there before putting it up for the winter. I would also drain out as much gas as possible and refill with fresh. Start it , burn off the fogging oil with the old plugs and then change them. When running it on the hose make sure you start the bike first then turn on the water/ turn off water shut down bike. Also, remove the drive shaft cover and drip water on the carbon seal if you run it for more that a couple of minutes. You can burn it up if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    does it still have the grey fuel lines?
    Not sure - if it does, should I change them out or is it better to have them?

Get rid of the gray fuel lines. And you MUST clean carbs and fuel selector. Otherwise you have about a 99% chance of burning up your pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by tntfarms View Post
    Get rid of the gray fuel lines. And you MUST clean carbs and fuel selector. Otherwise you have about a 99% chance of burning up your pistons.
    Would some good ole carb clearner from auto zone to the trick. I might need to just rebuild the carberator anyways. I think they were leaking a little last year.

And as for the fuel selector, what would you suggest? I'm pretty mechanicly enclined but I'm not even sure what that is.

Aerosol carb cleaner works fine, but you need to disassemble the carbs before using cleaner. Carb cleaner and rubber carb parts do not get along.

As for the fuel selector, it is the on/off/reserve switch. Take it off and take it apart, don't just spray carb cleaner through it as there some rubber in it as well. Might be easiest just to replace the selector. They are about $17 for a WSM aftermarket.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tntfarms View Post

As for the fuel selector, it is the on/off/reserve switch. Take it off and take it apart, don't just spray carb cleaner through it as there some rubber in it as well. Might be easiest just to replace the selector. They are about $17 for a WSM aftermarket.
    No need to buy a new one...just replace the little rubber o-ring in the valve and its as good as new.

Thread Information