Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar

Stainless wear ring VS Nylon wear ring

I'm still running the nylon wear ring which i just replaced after 145 hrs. I would think that the nylon gives you a tighter fit for better performance but has a substantially shorter lifespan where as the stainless is doesn't have the close tolerances but lasts much longer. Is there any truth to this? I didn't start having problems with cavitation on take off and top speed loss until my g/f's brother f-ed it all up( messed up wear ring, hole and gashes in hull, broken intake grate) Is this just because i'm super carefull with sucking things up and riding in shallow water? How much sand and crap does the average person suck up? I see people do dumb stuff all the time with a ski that makes me cringe . I was thinking about switching to the stainless wear ring but other than lasting longer what other advantages are there?

145 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo and you are complaining about time???? change mine 4 times I have 70 hrs on my ski.. Thats the price I pay tho for living In Phila pa and riding the shitty as delaware river

+1
    The stainless steel wear rings that Bruce Taylor of Xtreme Jetsports have just as tight a tolerance as the nylon rings. He can even make them tighter if you want.

+1
    In my opinion I would stick with the OEM ring. 145 hours is nothing to complain about. If you had the SS ring and your friend did whatever he did to mess up the plastic one, the SS would have also been damaged as well as the prop. Most plastic ring damage is either caused by cavitation or foreigh material going through the pump. Prop or shaft flex will damage both type rings. The SS ring risks prop damage in certain instances where the plastic is more forgiving. If you suck up a rock or gravel, you can kiss either ring "bye bye". It also makes me cringe when I see people driving their skis up onto the beach, running in 6" of water etc.....and then they complain they lost performance !!

Richard

Finally someone that agrees with me ..... !!!! i also feel the ss ring is a waste of money plus like he said suck something up with a ss ring and bye bye prop Ill chnage my wear ring 3 times a season before i go SS this to me is like disconnecting the TOPS I think the plastic wearring is another GREAT invention and will actually save u money ... I prefer to replace a 35 dollar piece of plastic once in awhile then to replace my prop for 350.00 ....

+1
    I disagree

Other manufacturers have been running stainless wear rings for years. If your ski is making any real power you will need a stainless wear ring otherwise you will burn out your plastic one in 4 hours or less. Been there done that! I guess plastic is fine for basically a stock ski though.

Crazed, what kind of impeller are you running at a cost of $350? Richard sells brand new Solas impellers for about $230

+1
    I'm familiar with other skis and the SS wear rings they use, namely Kawi. They do last a long time, but once they get F'ed up, you have to replace the entire pump section....sold a lot of pumps to some very unhappy people !! The beauty of the Kawi setup (Ultra) is that the fit of the prop/pump is adjustable by removable shims. You can get a nearly perfect fit by adjusting properly. Sometimes you can have the damaged SS wear area honed out and then shim it back to factory specs. You would be extremely lucky to get a extremely tight fit with a non adjustable pump....maybe the reason speed varies so much between identical boats.

Richard

+1
    No doubt about it. Suck up something hard in your pump with a SS wear ring and it will F some shit up. It's the chance you take. To me that chance is better than the alternative. Plastic wear rings deteriorate from the minute you start putting time on them. The performance slowly goes away over time. The SS wear ring maintains the tolerance therefore maintains performance.

+1
    Plastic wear rings are a cash grab.
    If you put something small through the pump it gets jammed in the plastic and takes out the ring and the impeller. With a stainless pump it will go right through. I had a Polaris 900 and I put enough junk through the pump one day that it sounded like someone had poured a bag of marbles through it. When I got home and took it apart there wasn't a scratch.
    I also worked at a Polaris dealer that changed to SeaDoo and all of a sudden we were doing pump work all the time due to the wear ring.
    I think that the pump design is the weakest point on a SeaDoo(even worst than the clutch).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT
    Plastic wear rings are a cash grab.
    Right on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information