Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1

Bad day on the water!

A Caution thread! I was at the shore house today for fathers day. I went on a few short and SLOW rides with my older son. When I got back my brother in-law who has never been on a ski before asked if I could take him out. When we got out I figured I would open it up and show him how fun these ski's can be. When I was riding along in a open area where I've been riding for years I came around the bend into a cove just as I seen a plywood ramp just about 2" above water line. It was to late. I slammed into the side of it and flipped the ski. We went flying a few feet. When I got back to the ski sure enough there was about a 6" by 4" hole in the hull above where the sponsons once was. There was also a gouge about 2 feet along the side of hull. We were ok for the most part. He sprained his wrist. I just bruised up my chest. Come to find out there were some kids that built a few ramps for water skiing. A boater who came by to help out said another pwc just did the same thing about an hour earlier. There's about 6 ramps and can only be seen at low tide. I was soooooo grateful my little guy wasn't with me. I would of never been going that fast but still.... Just be careful guys. You never know what can pop up overnite in these waters we all share. I did get ski back. Good thing I had installed a Rule 500 pump yesterday.... Ride Safe!!!

+1

Bad day on the water!

PS let me know if anybody finds a yamaha sponson floating in the Barnaget Bay!!

+1
    what was the location of this ramp? i will go and pull it out of the watter tomorrow with my boat as far as i am concerned there is way too much stuff floating around in the bay over the weekends.

+1
    Glad you're okay, I would be finding out who put that stupid ramp out in the waterway; they owe you for damages. Some dumbazzes put one of those ramps on the lake here in front of the house a few weeks ago. This was not kids either, it was some pecker heads riding around in a $40K board boat. I was going to call the Sheriff about it, but it was gone after about a week. Some of these wake boarders and ski jerks act like they are using a private lake sometimes....

+1
    Wow, glad your ok, which ski is this that now has a hole? I remember when I was living in florida we went exploring one day and saw this huge ass ramp in the water, hidden really well in a secluded area, thinking what the hell are they going to do with this. Then eric malone and friends showed up and were hitting it. It was unreal. I have no problem for wakeboarders wanting a ramp out there but go buy some bouys and make it soemwhat legit and make people aware. But as soon as the nj staties see the ramps they will be gone.

+1
    Frank I got a sponson and a hull for ya... Just let me know if you need it... Glad your ok bud...

+1
    glad you didnt have your kid with you and your ok frank, the ski can easily be fixed..

+1

thanks guys!

My father inlaw called the State Police Marine Division. They met him on his boat out there and showed them. They remove it and also anther one I didn't see. He said there were 12" steel spikes driven down to hold them in place. The other ones were further into the cove and They will come back for those. As for my brother inlaw Xrays were good so its only a sprain. Joe this was my 05 XLT. Just got this one back from gettin painted TJ my nieghbor is a body man and he was the one who sprayed it. He came by and said he things he can repair it. Thanks so much for your offer. That was awsome of you. PD also said this is happening all over. People been hitting these in boats all weekend. It just keeps replaying in my head What if my son was with me???? My wife isn't real kean now of kids comiing out on ski's. Have to rebuild her trust Thanks Guys...

+1
    That really really really sucks! Atleast everyone is ok! I ran into an underground post from an old dock that wasn't there anymore. Thank god I only damaged my sponson. There was a warning you but you dont see it until you hit something

Thread Information