Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 650 SL wont rev up!

Hi I have a issue with a jetski I bought a little while back that I just can not figure out! it will not rev up the way it should it will either sputter or back fire pretty bad really!

I have changed all the fuel lines, tore apart the carbs and cleaned them, installed the triple fuel pump, and looked at the reeds, there were no cracks or any apparent damage and looked to be just fine!

I have even tried a differnt triple carb rail that was also cxompletly cleaned, if any one has any possiable ideas I would be very thankfull as honestly Im freaking stumped!

Also gave all cylinders a comp. check and all at 130? if timings off would this possiably be a problem and how hard is it to retime?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First, i would do a crank index. If that's good, then start looking into the timing.

Was the elec stator ever replaced?

Have you checked the woodruff key to see if it's OK?

Was the autocock removed?

Was the impeller replaced?

Hi Xclint I dont know whats a crank index? I bought recently and dont know about the stator? I know its got really good spark! The auto cock is gone and its all set up with the triple pump con. witch I also did on a 93 I have and it works fine! whats your thinking about the impeller? one thing I noticed is that the former owner had the exhaust hoses loose for some reason? its real aggravating at this point! Thanks for the reply!

+1
    Do a search for idexing the crank. It's a simple test that wioll tell you if all your pistons are in phase. They should be EXACTLY 120* apart.

If the stator was replaced, the person doing the work may have set it incorrectly (doubt it), or may have not tightened the screws well enough.

Sometimes the flywheel nut isn't torqued properly, and/or Loctite wasn't used, and the flywheel can shift. shearing the woodruff key and throwing timing off.

If the impeller was replaced with one that's too big, it'll have piss poor performance down low, but may get up to speed after unloading the pump. It will also keep your RPM down, loading the engine and causing excessive heat and damage.

Make sure your exh hoses are all tight. If you got exh leaking into the ski, it will lean out the mix (lack of oxygen) and will never let the engine get up to speed.

I have not put this in the water yet, but it still seems like it should rev up better than this it seems like I should be able too get it closer to what I need as dropping it in the water is a little hard fot me too do because of location and stuff! it just always seems to be too rich no matter what I do? I have did alot of work on the fuel system and it has helped when I first got it, she would only start with carb cleaner now she starts right up! just will not rev? Thanks for the help by the way!

Hey xlint one thing im wondering about is the fuel restricter I used was a mikuni 100 like suggested would that have anything to do with it at all?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    On the trailer out of the water, what exactly is happening when you squeeze the throttle?

Does it rev to a certain RPM, then seem to stutter?

Does it bog and pause before RPM rises?

Does it act differently if you squeeze the throttle quickly versus slowly?

Do you have access to an RPM gauge (tachometer)?

Have you done all the little things, like trimming the spark plug wires and re-screwing the plug caps on?

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

+1
    Your fuel requirements go up as the engine is placed under a load, HOWEVER, it should rev much easier when on the trailer.

Why do you think it's running rich?

The restrictor is a bit big IMO, but won't come into play until WOT. When you need full pressure to feed fuel to the carbs.

Please explain in detail what the issue is.

If I go to rev it up slow its like itslowly revs up and bogs out if I do it fast it back fires, it seems like its getting too much gas as if I pull the plugs they are wet! and everyone tells me backfire is usually too much gas, it also does not have the higher rpms my other skis do at idle and out of the water?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information