Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: low Battery

+1

low Battery

Would a low battery (12V low) cause a ski to shut down after 5 - 10 min of run time? I was running my ski today, I got out of the no wake zone and headed out. Running about a 1/2 throttle it just stalled. pulled the plugs and they were a little gray, not bad. I put them back in and was able to restart and run for about a min, then it stalled. I couldn't restart right away so my brother started to tow me back. I got it started and idled it behind him as he towed me. It idled all the way back in. About a 10 - 15 min tow. No low12v light flashing. One thing I noticed, with the low 12v warning I did not get the 2 beeps from the DESS system.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

GTX-rfi

if that's your ski and your battery is running flat, they fuel pump would not have enough juice, effectively shutting the ski down.

Charge the battery up, start the engine and check the charging voltage at 4-5k rpm. Should be over 13.5v.

The regulator rectifier on this ski is a bit underrated to charge a battery that has a bad cell, and the regualtor melts down

I'd suggest a quality agm battery for this ski. If you have to replace the regulator seadoo source makes a mod to the use heavier duty rxp regulator for this ski. If you an accomplished mechanic/electrician, you can do the same on your own. The special connectors are a bit pricey in small quantities,. I did one out of nessecity a couple of weeks ago, my wholesaler was out of RFi regualtors, so I went with an RXp regulator and got the couple of specialty connectors I needed

Make sure the battery cables and terminals are clean and tight and check the ground cluster on the mag cover. The rfi draws a lot of power at idle speed, and the alternator isn't supplying all of it till you reach 2800 rpm or better.

+1
    I put a new battery in my ski today. I didn't have time to take it out and see if it cures my problem. I did notice the the battery that I took out was 275 CCA and the battery I installed is 325 CCA. I got the battery number from the dealer and bought a battery from the local Battery shop. Was I running too small of a battery?

I also pulled my fuel pump to check the sock filter. It didn't appear to be clogged. I figured I would replace it since. So I had it out I call the dealer to see if they had a new one in stock and they told me that the part number was not even listed.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    if that's your ski and your battery is running flat, they fuel pump would not have enough juice, effectively shutting the ski down.

Charge the battery up, start the engine and check the charging voltage at 4-5k rpm. Should be over 13.5v.

The regulator rectifier on this ski is a bit underrated to charge a battery that has a bad cell, and the regualtor melts down

I'd suggest a quality agm battery for this ski. If you have to replace the regulator seadoo source makes a mod to the use heavier duty rxp regulator for this ski. If you an accomplished mechanic/electrician, you can do the same on your own. The special connectors are a bit pricey in small quantities,. I did one out of nessecity a couple of weeks ago, my wholesaler was out of RFi regualtors, so I went with an RXp regulator and got the couple of specialty connectors I needed

Make sure the battery cables and terminals are clean and tight and check the ground cluster on the mag cover. The rfi draws a lot of power at idle speed, and the alternator isn't supplying all of it till you reach 2800 rpm or better.
    do they make that for the 2000 rxdi also??

+1

if you can manage the connections

it's not rocket science..make a mistake..and well, it's a long way back from the moon when you have a pint of water and a flashlight.

Using a good quality battery is the key. had one show up today..using a cheap battery that wasn't charged to capacity after being filled with acid..it lost enough voltage at idle to trigger the 12v low limp mode/maint alarm. A brand new Deka AGM fixed the problem, and I didn't hear back from him, so I assume after that it was a fun day on the lake

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    it's not rocket science..make a mistake..and well, it's a long way back from the moon when you have a pint of water and a flashlight.

Using a good quality battery is the key. had one show up today..using a cheap battery that wasn't charged to capacity after being filled with acid..it lost enough voltage at idle to trigger the 12v low limp mode/maint alarm. A brand new Deka AGM fixed the problem, and I didn't hear back from him, so I assume after that it was a fun day on the lake

i think that is what is going on with mine... i was so anxious to get on the lake i didnt charge it full... guess ill try a new one. i can get one of those Deka AGMs anywhere?

sorry for kinda stealing thread.

+1
    advanced auto parts and o'reillys sells AGM batteries.

+1
    The new battery I installed was a Deka AGM 325 CCA. I bought it at the Battery Wholesale for $84. I hope it solves my problem.

On pwc2day the talk is that RFI's eat rectifiers. I need to test mine to rule that possibility out too. How is a new rectifier?

Quote Originally Posted by olds72 View Post
    The new battery I installed was a Deka AGM 325 CCA. I bought it at the Battery Wholesale for $84. I hope it solves my problem.

On pwc2day the talk is that RFI's eat rectifiers. I need to test mine to rule that possibility out too. How is a new rectifier?

this is the rectifier mod Capt. Peter suggested.

http://www.seadoosource.com/hdrectifier.html

+1

test the output first

it only goes bad when you neglect the battery, jump start the ski and then demand the alternator charge your o-so-dead battery or it's hit by underwater lighting.

voltmeters are cheap, regulators are not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information