Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Info on Sea Doo Warranty Promotion - Issue with my dealer

On Friday 6/18 I bought 2 new Sea Doos from a dealer out of state. Had them delivered that day and handed over the check and signed paperwork, then went to get them registered.

This weekend, I found out Sea Doo restarted it's 4-year warranty promotion (up from the 2) for boats purchased from 6/18 to 7/3. Dumb luck that it started up the day I purchased them and had them delivered but what the heck. I realized over the weekend that the dealer had filled out the paperwork on Thursday in advance of delivering them Friday morning (it's about a 4 hr drive so they left early before the office opened on Friday and thus had to fill out the paperwork the day before). All the paperwork is dated 6/17 not 6/18, the day of my check and the day they were delivered.

I called them up today to ask them to correct the dates on the paperwork to reflect the date they were actually sold/delivered and the dealer is refusing saying they were put into warranty service on the 17th (the day before they were delivered and I paid for them) and that if they give me the 4 yr. vs. 2 year warranty, they'll lose $1,000.00 in rebates on each ski as the warranty is an either/or with this rebate. This sounds like BS to me.

All I know is I had a price negotiated and was told nothing about a rebate. I also know I paid for the skiis and had them delived on the 18th. Lastly, the new promotion certificate on Sea Doo's website says nothing about either/or with a rebate. It just mentions the 4 year warranty and availbility of 3.9% financing (I paid cash and didn't even use the financing).

I tried calling Bombardier today but they're closed Monday's. Anyone know if there actually is a dealer rebate involved? The promotion sure makes it seem like EVERYONE gets the extended warranty and makes absolutely no mention of the rebate.

I think the dealer is screwing me over. I did purchase an extended 5 year warranty which I clearly wouldn't need if I had the 4 year warranty from the mfg. It's a ton of potential savings hanging in the balance. I think it's clear I bought the skiis on the 18th despite the date on the paperwork. Wondering how this will shake out when I get in touch with Bombardier.

+1
    legally you are not entitled to a warranty since the paperwork was filled out on the 17th and it has your signature on it. But I am sure that if you get a lawyer involved and take them to court they will write an 8 over the 7 in a heartbeat.

I say be persistent and it should work out for you.

Good luck!

Yeah, I didn't notice the date at the time because it wasn't important but fact remains it is incorrect. I'm pissed enough at the dealer that I may do the irrational thing and get a lawyer involved if someone at Bombardier corporate can't help. It could end up costing me more but I'm kind of pissed at the run around.

+1
    They are probably being honest on the rebate which impacted the price you paid.

Offer to pay the extra 1K and get the warranty extended.

My dealer didn't mention anything about a cost to him associated with the 5 year warranty (4 +1). It was offered in Canada until May 31, 2010.

I know that sometimes, dealers have to contribute to a promotion out of their own margin while all the time it looks like an offer from the manufacturer. This is ofter the case with low interest rates on car leases. The dealership actually "buys down" the rate and it comes out of his margin. So if he was going to give you $3,000 off on the car and the buy down of the interest rate is going to cost him $1,500, he might only offer you $1,500 off the car purchase price.

So in this case, the dealer might not have made the deal he did if he had to subsidize the warranty. It is more likely that he reduced the purchase price knowing he was going to make margin on the extended warranties.

Have you put the skis in the water? Does your state have "cooling down" period laws for purchases that allows for cancellation? Is there a return policy on the sales contract that says no returns? Maybe you should return the units if you have the legal option to do so and buy two new ones from someone else. Is there time to threaten to stop payment on the check? Maybe this will provide the necessary leverage to get the dealer to be reasonable with you (provide proof of the costs associated with the deal to you).

grover

Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    My dealer didn't mention anything about a cost to him associated with the 5 year warranty (4 +1). It was offered in Canada until May 31, 2010.

I know that sometimes, dealers have to contribute to a promotion out of their own margin while all the time it looks like an offer from the manufacturer. This is ofter the case with low interest rates on car leases. The dealership actually "buys down" the rate and it comes out of his margin. So if he was going to give you $3,000 off on the car and the buy down of the interest rate is going to cost him $1,500, he might only offer you $1,500 off the car purchase price.

So in this case, the dealer might not have made the deal he did if he had to subsidize the warranty. It is more likely that he reduced the purchase price knowing he was going to make margin on the extended warranties.

Have you put the skis in the water? Does your state have "cooling down" period laws for purchases that allows for cancellation? Is there a return policy on the sales contract that says no returns? Maybe you should return the units if you have the legal option to do so and buy two new ones from someone else. Is there time to threaten to stop payment on the check? Maybe this will provide the necessary leverage to get the dealer to be reasonable with you (provide proof of the costs associated with the deal to you).

grover
    It doesn't seem to make sense that they're out $1000 per ski with only an additional 2 years of warranty offered. If I took the below mkt financing at 3.9%, then yes maybe.

I paid with cashiers check since they were driving from out of state to deliver and yes I put them in the water. I can cancel warranty but can't imagine I could return skiis. I'll see if Bombardier confirms there was a dealer contribution but their offer says nothing about it so I'd say that's misleading. It's not like prices went down when the warranty offer expired in late May (ie dealers weren't having to contribute anything once offer expired). Seems to me this is a corporate level promotion.

Unfortunately, I think you're in for a tough fight. If all the paperwork was filed and dated as of 6/17, they might not be able to go back to Bombardier and say, oh wait a minute, these were sold on 6/18, not 6/17, please double the warranty period. In addition, you agreed to purchase these skis and both agreed on the deal assuming the warranty was 2 years, correct? I'm assuming so, as this is why you purchased the extended 5 year warranty.

The dealer could be assuming that you are going to cancel the 5 year warranty since you will have 4, so maybe that is part of the problem for them; they'll lose that commission.

EDIT-I highly doubt you'll get any dealer compensation information from Bombardier. That probably is not something they will discuss with you.

Quote Originally Posted by asaberan View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you're in for a tough fight. If all the paperwork was filed and dated as of 6/17, they might not be able to go back to Bombardier and say, oh wait a minute, these were sold on 6/18, not 6/17, please double the warranty period. In addition, you agreed to purchase these skis and both agreed on the deal assuming the warranty was 2 years, correct? I'm assuming so, as this is why you purchased the extended 5 year warranty.

The dealer could be assuming that you are going to cancel the 5 year warranty since you will have 4, so maybe that is part of the problem for them; they'll lose that commission.

EDIT-I highly doubt you'll get any dealer compensation information from Bombardier. That probably is not something they will discuss with you.
    I wouldn't be so quick with that opinion. The Skis were delivered on teh 18th, not the 17th. The sale was completed on the 18th. In court he would argue "mutual mistake of contract". the offer says for deliveries between the 18th and ...

A judge looking at this could provide a remedy of contract revision which would revise the contract to read June 18th instead of June 17th.

I'd ask the dealer if he really wants to get into it, or he'll go quietly. Even though the skis were in the water, what is the return policy? Final sale? Does it say so? BRP isn't going to help with this issue - even if you were able to get someone on the phone there (unlikely).

If the purchaser is really pissed - tell the dealer to take the skis back or tel him that you are going to sue for the contract to be revised. Once it is, the dealer will be ordered to refile the warranty registration and an order can be issued to have BRP revise the contract and delivery date.

I believe the dealer will fold.

Usually manufacturers have someone who helps customers with dealer issues. I will try this route first. The sale was in fact made on the 18th and the cashier's check was made on the 18th and I registered them on the 18th.

I believe the dealer will fold if/when I get a lawyer involved as I firmly believe I'm in the right. I will also cancel the extended warranty I purchased regardless of the outcome. I can get one somewhere else and I don't want this dealer making the profit off it when they are being unreasonable on this (in my view).

I suspect there is no rebate money directly tied to the 2 vs. 4 year warranty. When the 4 year warranty lapsed before did dealers renegotiate price decreases as a result of their not having to participate in the promotion? Doesn't make sense to me but perhaps I'm wrong.

In any event the sale DID occur on the 18th and the seadoo promotion doesn't say anything about "in lieu of rebate". It simply says all skis purchased, delivered and registered from the 18th to the 3rd will benefit from the warranty. That's why I think I'm in the right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jrz1 View Post
    In any event the sale DID occur on the 18th and the seadoo promotion doesn't say anything about "in lieu of rebate". It simply says all skis purchased, delivered and registered from the 18th to the 3rd will benefit from the warranty. That's why I think I'm in the right.
    If that's what the promotional material says, then it sounds to me like you have a good point!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information