Runaway motor on trailer

Hi, My friend has a 2000 800 waverunner which is new to him. Twice now we've hooked it up to flush it out after running and the motor just takes off and revs up to 4000 or 5000 rpm and won't shut off with the lanyard or the stop button... In both cases we turned off the gas and let it run until starved for fuel. Any help with this....... Would pulling the choke be an option to kill the motor?
    thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by desertmariner View Post
    Hi, My friend has a 2000 800 waverunner which is new to him. Twice now we've hooked it up to flush it out after running and the motor just takes off and revs up to 4000 or 5000 rpm and won't shut off with the lanyard or the stop button... In both cases we turned off the gas and let it run until starved for fuel. Any help with this....... Would pulling the choke be an option to kill the motor?
    thanks
    Pulling the choke is an option, actually squeezing the throttle wide open is what alot of people do. More than likely there is an air leak causing this.

+1
    I'd be very surprised if there's not significant damage to the piston walls/pistons already. You need to pull the heads and inspect.

The 4 or 5 k is a bad guess. It's more like 2or 3 k now that i think of it.And of course the flushing hose was hooked up... BUT why wouldn't the lanyard or the stop switch be effective.???? Shouldn't that kill (stop)the motor? They were just totally ineffective.

You had a lean mixture runaway, so it became almost like a diesel.You could have removed the plug caps and it would have STILL carried on! Air leaks are the common cause, especially around inlet area, or rebuilding the carbs and not priming the pumps before starting for the first time. Pulling the choke or pulling the throttle wide open usually kills it, or when it siezes it'll stop! You need to find the reason asap. BTW, 4-5K was probably a bad guess, I would expect it to be more like 6-7K plus!

+1
    You've had two lean runaways, and both times you stopped it by shutting off the fuel and letting the engine grind to a halt. I highly recommend you pull the heads and find out if there is any damage, and then you need to find out what caused it to begin with. This is not a minor problem.

This happened to me on my 1200 and the culprit were bad oil seals on both ends of the crank. Take the stator cover off and do a pressure test. This will definatley ruin your engine if you don't address.

thanks for all the feedback. We'll be reporting back as soon as we know something for sure....
    rich

Thread Information