Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy GP1200R Blown #3 Cylinder

I recently purchased a pair of 2001 GP1200R's for a really good deal. One of them is in great condition and runs like a champ. The other one has a blown #3 cylinder which was known at the time of purchase. I was told cylinders 1 & 2 were running at perfect compression and #3 had ZERO.

To confirm, I pulled the head this weekend and the third cylinder has a hole along the side right along the cylinder wall. It is a good size, but I don't know how quick these can grow. The engine has 162 hours on it, so I'm not sure if this is common, or uncommon for a ski with such hours. The oil pump has been removed and he was running pre-mix on it, but I don't know for how long. He also said his girlfriend always rode this ski, so the problem could've been going on for a while.

I had a car mechanic inspect and he said he knows nothing about jetski's and advised me to ask the boards, but from his opinion, the other two look perfect and it appears that I only need one piston, rings, and maybe cylinder...

Before I go out and replace that, I wanted to get a better idea of what would have caused this so it doesnt happen again. Also, I havent been able to find a new cylinder online, only sleeves, but unsure how I would install such...

Any help is greatly appreciative!!! Because I need it..

+1
    pulse line came off
    bad carbs, need rebuilt
    crank failure
    the list goes on...post up detailed pictures of the damage, also use the search feature on the site, lots of good info there.

Welcome to the board!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post's some pics. Helps greatly when diagnosing such an issue. There are tons of experts on here to help.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Me thinks you spun a ring and it caught the exhaust port.

As soon as I finished tightening everything back up last night, I realized i forgot to take any pics, so here's my super ghetto attempt to show what it looked like...

I would go and take it all apart, but Im in the city until Saturday and the ski is back in the boonies.

The cylinder was super smooth 90% of the way down, then where the top of the cylinder bottomed out there was a gash, but still small.

As far as looking at the head, above cylinders one and two, the color was obvious that they have been firing, but above the third cylinder it was completely black...

Hopefully this can help a little as I can't take an actual picture until next weekend.

In the picture, the black area, is all missing, the rest is still smooth and there are no marks up and down the entire cylinder wall, or on the head...

Quote Originally Posted by stokedboarder87 View Post
    As soon as I finished tightening everything back up last night, I realized i forgot to take any pics, so here's my super ghetto attempt to show what it looked like...

I would go and take it all apart, but Im in the city until Saturday and the ski is back in the boonies.

The cylinder was super smooth 90% of the way down, then where the top of the cylinder bottomed out there was a gash, but still small.

As far as looking at the head, above cylinders one and two, the color was obvious that they have been firing, but above the third cylinder it was completely black...

Hopefully this can help a little as I can't take an actual picture until next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PISTON.PNG 
Views:	190 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	194739  

need to see the piston and cyl

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Me thinks you spun a ring and it caught the exhaust port.

Happened to me last weekend .

But, then wouldn't there be a chunk or so of metal in the bottom of the crank? I looked pretty close, but didn't notice anything.

And could that happen with very little scarring to the cylinder wall?

I might actually take the enormous ride out of the city tonight just to take this whole thing apart again! I wanna get it fixed asap!!

Quote Originally Posted by blam3d View Post
    Happened to me last weekend .

Question Pictures - i need help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	204404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burnt1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	204403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruffcylinder.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	204405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clean CylinderWall.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	204406

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information