XLTNoob

'04 ford supercrew 4x4 roaring from rear tires

Just bought this truck exactly one week ago

Noticed the roar during test drive, chalked it up to road noise from my all terrains.

Took it to my alignment guy today, he put a jack under the rear differential, lifted both rear tires, then had his helper put it in gear and run the truck about 20MPH. He then asked me to feel the jack handle, and the "grinding" was quite noticable.

I'm a pretty experienced mechanic, but I've never messed with axles before. I'm sure the issue is with an axle bearing gone out somewhere.

If I get a master rebuild kit (not looking to change my gears), is there anyone with a bit of experience and the specialized tools to get this axle back together? I understand that Ford uses a crush sleeve to set pinion preload. I'll also need a dial indicating inch-pound torque wrench, a micrometer, and possibly a dial indicating pound-foot torque wrench as well..

What I'm really looking for is a place that has these specialized tools, and perhaps has done a Ford limited slip rear end a time or two to hold my hand.

I really want to learn how this stuff is put together, if I wanted someone to do it FOR me then I know I could just simply take it to a shop.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Superduty or a 150? how many miles are on the truck? have the brakes recently been done? what size tires are on the truck?

the vibration you could bee feeling in the jack could just be from the weight of the truck sitting on the pad of the jack........

i'd take it to another place and get a second opinion.

could be a number of things. a few things that come to mind are:

1. wheels bearings could be going bad
    2. brakes could be starting to rub
    3. you differential could be starting to go (if your ring and pinion arent toast, ford LSD's are relatively cheap to come by)
    4. you could have a bad tire causing the roaring/vibration

Make sure you follow the procedure to a T and use all the special tools if you can get them. there is very little room for error. if installed wrong you could have more noise and even cook the gears if the measurements aren't properly taken and adjusted for. Make sure you get a new crush sleave too. do a gear compound marking after everything is set.

I would just get a second opinion if you feel the mechanic is unrealiable. It wouldn't hurt to to pull the brakes and drive shaft off and turn by hand, or take that cover off and check condition of the oil. Check the u-joints. Its safer to check the simple cheaper stuff than going an axle rebuild.

A straight rebuild is not that hard. Reuse the shims and you should be back were you started. Hopefully some one could help. I would but not local.

Also what rear axle is in the truck?

+1
    Probably the ring and pinion are bad. Been there done that, but with my Toyotas years ago.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    if it is in fact the diff, let a shop do it. it is more of an art than a science and the special tools needed to get the bearings and shims on and off are pricey.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    if it is in fact the diff, let a shop do it. it is more of an art than a science and the special tools needed to get the bearings and shims on and off are pricey.
    +1 let the pros do it.

Thread Information