02 GTi Carb rebuild kits?

I need to rebuild the carburetor in my 02 Gti. Bought it last year with lots of problems but worked them out one by one. However, I never fixed the carb that has been slowly leaking the whole time. (Itís kind of a pain, makes my engine get horrible gas mileage and I also have to hold the throttle wide open to start it every time, basically pretending that its always flooded before I even start it (but it works every time this way))

Have any pointers for buying a rebuild kit? Brands? Materials? Anything I should watch out for that the average mechanic might not think about?

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    I need to rebuild the carburetor in my 02 Gti. Bought it last year with lots of problems but worked them out one by one. However, I never fixed the carb that has been slowly leaking the whole time. (Itís kind of a pain, makes my engine get horrible gas mileage and I also have to hold the throttle wide open to start it every time, basically pretending that its always flooded before I even start it (but it works every time this way))

Have any pointers for buying a rebuild kit? Brands? Materials? Anything I should watch out for that the average mechanic might not think about?
    buy mikuni only! I bought the aftermarket kit and the diaphrams were a bit long causing flooding.

Before I get started, could someone give me an idea for the level of difficulty of taking out the carburetors and rebuilding them (with a rebuild kit) on an 02 Gti? I am pretty mechanically inclined but I donít want to get into something and make it worse than in the beginning. Could a novice do it in 5 hrs?

yes it should take less than 5 hours.your hardest task will be removing them. sometimes the bolts seize in the carb bodies and you'll have to work them back and forth(tighten/lossen) in small increments. the rest is easy. where are you located?

I'm in Utah. I was reading my manual and it says something about a pressure gage and psi. I didn't have time to read the whole thing but does that sound familiar to you?

And as far as replacing the gaskets and things, pretty simple?

Like i said before, I'm not a professional mechanic but I can do most things. (I was able to take my engine out to change the carbon ring that guides the drive shaft. And to unstick my fly wheel when I bought the ski)

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    I'm in Utah. I was reading my manual and it says something about a pressure gage and psi. I didn't have time to read the whole thing but does that sound familiar to you?

And as far as replacing the gaskets and things, pretty simple?

Like i said before, I'm not a professional mechanic but I can do most things. (I was able to take my engine out to change the carbon ring that guides the drive shaft. And to unstick my fly wheel when I bought the ski)

If ya want some reading material before tackling the job. Here ya go. Look under manuals and exploded views. Then at the bottom you will see watercraft apps.

http://www.mikuni.com/fs-carburetor.html

Thread Information