Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT-X pump grinding

Ive been working on this guys skis this past summer and he came to me with this problem:

The ski runs fine but when given throttle all it does is grind really loud (like slipping gears) and goes no where. I pulled the pump off today and the splines look ok on the impeller/shaft but when I pull on the shaft and rotate it it clicks and spins. Doesnt seem normal to me, but if I push and rotate it engages and doesnt spin. I know little about these Sea-Doos as Ive always had Yamahas, but im not new to turning a wrench. I just need some help from you Sea-Doo pros. How does the drive shaft come out and what is it attached to? Hopefully someone knows an answer to this issue.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    On the inside of the ski you will see a metal hat just in front of the carbon seal... have someone hold the drive shaft in place as you pry the hat towards the rear of the ski... there is a clip under the hat on the drive shaft that needs to be removed. Once thats out... the shaft will pull out with a few tugs. Normally a stripped drive shaft comes from a broken motor mount due to the motor shifting forward... however, it normally strips the rear splines as the carbon seal keeps forward pressure on the drive shaft. It definitely sounds as if you have a stripped drive shaft though... check those motor mount as well!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    On the inside of the ski you will see a metal hat just in front of the carbon seal... have someone hold the drive shaft in place as you pry the hat towards the rear of the ski... there is a clip under the hat on the drive shaft that needs to be removed. Once thats out... the shaft will pull out with a few tugs. Normally a stripped drive shaft comes from a broken motor mount due to the motor shifting forward... however, it normally strips the rear splines as the carbon seal keeps forward pressure on the drive shaft. It definitely sounds as if you have a stripped drive shaft though... check those motor mount as well!
    Thanks for the help, Ill look into it tomorrow when I have some day light, I think its a stripped shaft myself but no sure way to know till I get it out. He said he hit a sandbar at a pretty good pace and thats when the problems started.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wakewhornc View Post
    Thanks for the help, Ill look into it tomorrow when I have some day light, I think its a stripped shaft myself but no sure way to know till I get it out. He said he hit a sandbar at a pretty good pace and thats when the problems started.
    Definitely check those motor mounts... I bet that's your issue here, and it stripped the drive shaft shortly afterwords.

Definitely check those motor mounts... I bet that's your issue here, and it stripped the drive shaft shortly afterwords.
    Will do, and what if a motor mount(s) is broken? What would be the correct way to replace one (or multiple)? Just loosen all 4 and raise engine just enough or does the engine have to be completely removed?

+1
    Will do, and what if a motor mount(s) is broken? What would be the correct way to replace one (or multiple)? Just loosen all 4 and raise engine just enough or does the engine have to be completely removed?
    There are only three mounts, one at the front and one each at the rear.

To replace either, slacken off the broken mount and lift the motor slightly. You should be able to remove the mount and replace it.

You`ll then need to re align the motor with an alignment tool prior to fitting the drive shaft and pump assembly.

Looked at it today, front mount is broken and maybe one of the rears, didnt have time to pull the IC hoses to get a better look. Looks like Ill be buying an engine alignment tool and probably trying to sell it afterwards.

+1
    Looked at it today, front mount is broken and maybe one of the rears, didnt have time to pull the IC hoses to get a better look. Looks like Ill be buying an engine alignment tool and probably trying to sell it afterwards.
    You can rent an alignment tool from SBT for $75

+1
    You are going to want to look real close @ the oil filter and check for metal.

You can rent an alignment tool from SBT for $75
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information