Question 1996 Polaris SLT700 no fire?

My Polaris ran great all last summer brought it out spring 2010 and the battery was weak so I put a new battery on it in the dark (bad idea!) and reversed the cables for about 5 minutes before I realized it and corrected them. After that goof the ski's engine turns over fine but will not start. No fire best I can tell. I have checked the few fuzes I can find and replaced the 15a circiut breaker and still no start. It is a old jet ski but well worth fixing and my kids really enjoy the tube behind it! Help. I am not a good mechanic be gentle.

+1
    WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Check out the tech section under Domestic Electrical and look at the NO SPARK thread. Follow the testing procedure and you should find your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post

Check out the tech section under Domestic Electrical and look at the NO SPARK thread. Follow the testing procedure and you should find your issue.
    Will do. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for more info

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post

Again thanks. I found with the new battery it was showing 12vdc while cranking, all grounds checked and good, black / yellow wire disconnected still no fire, grey wire on cdi box diconnected and red / purple wire 16vdc.

Now, brown wire from cdi while cranking is zero nothing. Next test was with 9v battery with the brown wire going to the stator and still zero spark nothing?

By reversing the battery cables could that have fried the cdi and stator? I have checked the stator number and coil number and they match the original PVL parts.

I want to double check, what is the most effective way to check spark?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyras398 View Post
    Again thanks. I found with the new battery it was showing 12vdc while cranking,
    all grounds checked and good,
    black / yellow wire disconnected still no fire,
    grey wire on cdi box disconnected
    and red / purple wire 16vdc.

Now, brown wire from cdi while cranking is zero nothing. Next test was with 9v battery with the brown wire going to the stator and still zero spark nothing?

By reversing the battery cables could that have fried the cdi and stator?

I have checked the stator number and coil number and they match the original PVL parts.

I want to double check, what is the most effective way to check spark?
    Yes, reversing the battery cables could have killed the CDI, and possibly the LR voltage regulator module too.

How are you measuring these voltages?

There is no way you could have 16 volts on the Red/Purple wire while cranking.

Even the 12 volts while cranking at the battery seems a tad high, but possible.

Which Red/Purple wire did you measure the voltage at while cranking? It must be the Red/Purple wire that goes directly into the actual CDI module.

If you still have the original ignition system, with the original CDI, then now seems like the time to install the ignition update kit.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Yes, reversing the battery cables could have killed the CDI, and possibly the LR voltage regulator module too.

How are you measuring these voltages?

There is no way you could have 16 volts on the Red/Purple wire while cranking.

Even the 12 volts while cranking at the battery seems a tad high, but possible.

Which Red/Purple wire did you measure the voltage at while cranking? It must be the Red/Purple wire that goes directly into the actual CDI module.

If you still have the original ignition system, with the original CDI, then now seems like the time to install the ignition update kit.
    I was testing with a ohms / volt meter alone trying to start and read the meter so I may be off a little. Yes I was reading the red/purple wire that feeds direct to the cdi, then after reconnecting it I got nothing from the brown wire that feeds the stator. I am looking at the upgraded kit 2873355 is this the best kit for the money? Last 2 questions. Is it to much for someone with marginal mechanic skills like me to install? What is a resonable price to pay a shop to just install the kit? Thank you much for the guidance! I'm headed to the lake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyras398 View Post
    I was testing with a ohms / volt meter alone trying to start and read the meter so I may be off a little.

Yes I was reading the red/purple wire that feeds direct to the cdi, then after reconnecting it I got nothing from the brown wire that feeds the stator.

I am looking at the upgraded kit 2873355 is this the best kit for the money?

Last 2 questions. Is it to much for someone with marginal mechanic skills like me to install? What is a reasonable price to pay a shop to just install the kit? Thank you much for the guidance! I'm headed to the lake.
    Reconnecting what?

When measuring Red/Purple voltage, nothing is supposed to be unplugged.

Same with the Brown wire to the stator. Everything connected, measure voltage.

My understanding is that the better choice for all 1996-1999 two cylinder engines is the Hurricane update kit 2873022

Thread Information