Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help With Starter Solenoid Replacement

Hello,

I'm planning to head out to Havasu in the next couple of weeks. Tried to start up my ski but it doesn't crank up, only clicks. After reading up about it, I'm sure it's the starter solenoid. I bought the part but need help in locating it on my ski so I can get it replaced. Appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ultra View Post
    Hello,

I'm planning to head out to Havasu in the next couple of weeks. Tried to start up my ski but it doesn't crank up, only clicks. After reading up about it, I'm sure it's the starter solenoid. I bought the part but need help in locating it on my ski so I can get it replaced. Appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks.
    PWC type and model year?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    On a Kawi

Sorry... I have a Seadoo '04 GTX 4-Tec

+1
    It's mounted on the left side of the MPEM... see pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	194778  

I know this may sound dumb, but what is the MPEM? Is it visible near the battery?

+1
    I know this may sound dumb, but what is the MPEM? Is it visible near the battery?
    Multiple Purpose Electronic Module... it will be just to the left of your battery. Just follow the red battery cable... it will lead you directly to the starter solenoid.

Thanks again, BigDaddy, we found it. Tomorrow, gonna pick up the Yuasa batteries for both skis, my Ultra and GTX. Hope it all works out and no major catastrophes happen to ruin the weekend.

Miss Ultra

+1
    Thanks again, BigDaddy, we found it. Tomorrow, gonna pick up the Yuasa batteries for both skis, my Ultra and GTX. Hope it all works out and no major catastrophes happen to ruin the weekend.

Miss Ultra
    Good Luck!!
    You might try the new battery first before you replace the solenoid. It might not be bad.

Remember to disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery before you start work on the solenoid replacement. I agree that you might want to test the battery first, but the solenoids are a known weak point. If the solenoid clicks each time you press the start/stop button and then finally starts in a normal fashion (i.e. the engine "turns over" quickly), I'd say it is the solenoid.

Of course, if the battery is more than 3 years old and you don't use the PWC year round or keep a battery tender on it during the off season, it probably needs replacement as well.

As I have advised on the forum in the past, make sure you handle your tools carefully while replacing the solenoid as it is easy to drop a sock or a socket extension and they will invariably roll to a spot you can't reach under the engine block. I retrieved mine with a magnetic snake.

Good luck,

grover

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information