Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2003 GP1300R Nasty Damage . . . Next Steps / Thoughts

Ok... enjoyed part of my Dad's day by getting a 2003 GP1300 (which I knew had the motor seized) to the house. I pulled it apart. See attached pictures for the blow by blow. Net / net: I don't think a little JB Wield is going to fix this one folks.

To me, it doesn't look like the 3rd lung was getting fuel, or oil, or both. I looked at the power valve, functioning smoothly, all parts are still there. Oil lines are attached at Injector. Injector wiring is attached. I did not trace oil line all the way back to the oil pump, but from what I can see (without taking more of the ski apart) oil lines are attached . . . and there is no oil line damage.

As noted earlier, the ski failed the previous owners on the same cylinder . . . twice. I don't blame them for not wanting to attempt round #3. Makes me wonder what the root cause is . . . injector failure or water intrusion would have been some guesses . . . but I welcome opinions.

So . . . block is damaged (no core value) and I am therefore in to spending money on a 1300 PV core (I have no idea what that costs) shipping of core to SBT, SBT Premium w/shipping is $2000 ish. . . so all in I bet it will be close to $2500 in PARTS. Saying my labor is worth zero . . . I would get all done and have a $3500 ski. Seems like I should be able to part it out for MUCH more than $1,000 and save my labor / drama. I welcome anyone else's view . . .

At a minimum I thought all of you would enjoy seeing the carnage.

Also . . . SBT's instructions for removing / installing a 1200PV motor provided a decent guide . . . even with some differences for the 1300 not being called out . . but still very helpful (where to break the exhaust, order of removal, etc). Even better than the shop manual. I have messed with more of the stand up 2 lung variety. First major tear down on a triple. You can find the SBT installation guides at the below URL. . .

http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/guides.html

Enjoy the pictures (I welcome comments) . . . also welcome guidance on what the ski is worth in parts (specific values of major assemblies would be most helpful . . instrument cluster, pump/cone/impeller, seat, whatever else). Or what to ask for the full package.

Thanks.

k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06212010(004).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	194779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06212010(006).jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	194780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06212010(007).jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	194781  

+1

Lightbulb ?

Hey there kkosche..

First up...
    Welcome to the forum..

Well for sure that motor is fubar'd..

Unlikely it was water ingestion..??

Either an air leak around the reeds or a split on the throttle body mounting..??

Personally I'd be thinking leaking or blown out rear crank seals..??

Another possibility is a failed injector..??

The next question is fix it or sell/part it..???

If the hull is clean then fixing it might be the better alternative.,

Parting it out would certainly bring you more than the $1000 you paid (was it a $1000.?)

If your able to repair it yourself..? then most all the parts will likely be available here on the forum used..!!

Have a think what your preferred route is
    Then go forward from there..!!

Gerry..

OH and nice first post..
    We like details and pictures on here..

+1
    put in a SHO motor and dont look back...........

my ski has thrust vectoring......does yours??? killcraft's Avatar
    HOLY CRAP....... it blew the freaking crank case...i cant believe that amazing what happens when thinks come to an abrupt stop!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    put in a SHO motor and dont look back...........
    Find me one I would love too!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    FS 2007 1300r engine
    dlamazing
    Not a bad deal! sell off what you don't need. Lee

Ya I have the skills to screw the thing back together. Skill come more from the car hobby side of things. Personally, I am more into stand-ups (FX1) and I also have an old X2 I have been messing around with for my 10 year old daughter to ride. Thought if I could replace the jug and reassemble, I would enjoy the GPR for a summer and then decide what to do . . would have also made sure it was solid, before having someone else take a gamble on it.

So I think I am leaning towards parting it out. The boat has only 55 hours on it. The gelcoat is wonderful. Gauges work, crank rotates the other two jugs no problem, etc, etc. Doesn't even look like it has ever been beached. Very nice . . .

If I go the part out route. Any suggestions on how to break it apart would be helpful. Also any suggestions as to what would be reasonable prices for the chunks of stuff.

If any of you guru's are in Seattle (actually 40 miles north) . . . come buy it as a package. . . all of it was carefully taken apart. Heck in a couple hours, I could put it all back together for ya. . . ha!

Thanks in advance.

+1
    If you just jug it and fly I think it would fail again. You would need to pull it out fix the major broken pieces, then pressure test it. At that point you'll probably need a crank. (just my guess). Any other way and its a gamble in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    If you just jug it and fly I think it would fail again. You would need to pull it out fix the major broken pieces, then pressure test it. At that point you'll probably need a crank. (just my guess). Any other way and its a gamble in my eyes.

I am pretty sure it will fail again if I just do the jug . . because it has a 3" hole in the side of the block.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kkosche View Post
    I am pretty sure it will fail again if I just do the jug . . because it has a 3" hole in the side of the block.
    +1 on the pressure test if you rebuild yourself. Lowell Horning sells a kit. A rebuilt SBT motor will give you piece of mind, but it's probably the more expensive route. You're paying for all the labor to re-manufacture the engine.

Before you make your final decision, put together a parts inventory and then search the older GreenHulk and PWCToday classifieds to see what stuff is selling for. You'd be surprised what you can pick-up for a good price if you are patient.

-Boudin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information