Thread: GPR Leak

GPR Leak

Hi Everyone!

New to the site & need some help. Last week my 03' GP1300 sprung a leak. On our last ride of the day I noticed the GPR was sittin low in the water & it was ridin sluggish the whole week. I removed the seat & discovered that there was about 3 to 4 inches of water in the bottom of the bilge. This was unusual since we were riding in smooth water & not doing any type of riding that would cause water to enter the bilge. I immediately suspected loose drain plugs but they were tight.

Once we got her up on the trailer and out of the water, it was noticeable that more water was draining than normal from the back & under the ski & doing this without opening the drain plugs. It appeared the bulk of the water was comming from around the bolts & plate situated between the ride plate & the intake grate.

After a couple of days & thouroughly dried & some advice from a local dealer, I ran the motor with the water hose attached to see if I there was a cooling system leak. Nothing

Next I slowly filled the bilge & after just a few minutes, & not enough water the cause the rear plugs to start to work, the water started a steady low volume stream out of the sae area as before. I also filled the bilge enough to put the output shaft under water & didn't see any leak from there.

The leaky plate does not appear damaged nor does anything near the intake, ride plate area. This plate did look a little raise (or lower depending on your point of view) & not completely flush with the ride plate & you can see what appears to be some sort of sealant sandwiched between the plate & the craft bottom.

When I went to tighten one of the four bolts that attach it the bolt turned freely but didn't seem to be tightening so I tried removing it & it didn't loosed either. Thinking it might be stripped, I tried loosening another bolt & it turned freely but was not backing out either.

My next step was to remove the battery box so I could figure ot if the bolts were tapped directly into the body or if there was a bold head on the inside I had to hold to back the bolt out. Once inside I discovered that the four bolts slip inside a metal sleeve & it's this sleeve that extends into the bilge. There's no nut at the top of this sleeve but a round, flat head that rotates as you turn the plate bolt from underneath. Since there's no bolt head there's no way to keep it from turning short of using vice grips on it.

Anyone have any idea how to remove this plate & it's four bolts?

Thanks in advance!

+1
    Welcome to the forum. Do a search on hull insert removal, or spinning inserts.

+1
    Yes, i had the same problem, youll need to remove the broken insert and the rest of the bolts and take the ride plate or intake grate off, whichever one has a broken insert. I had the same problem and i chose to not wait for a new insert to come which i couldnt find in any diagrams, so i went to the parts store and bought a stainless steel bolt and nuts, and a big fender washer to displace the load. I then put the bolt and fender washer in the CLEAN grease free hole where the insert used to be and jb welded it in, that sucker wont come out now. Now to prevent this from ever happening again i reccomend you coat all the bolts with a medium grade threadlocker because it will keep the threads from corroding and locking together. Good luck! mines bone dry now, and check the fiber glass for damage because mine needed some patch work under the hull where the ride plate bolted up.

+1
    {QUOTE}Once we got her up on the trailer and out of the water, it was noticeable that more water was draining than normal from the back & under the ski & doing this without opening the drain plugs. It appeared the bulk of the water was comming from around the bolts & plate situated between the ride plate & the intake grate

Next I slowly filled the bilge & after just a few minutes, & not enough water the cause the rear plugs to start to work, the water started a steady low volume stream out of the sae area as before. I also filled the bilge enough to put the output shaft under water & didn't see any leak from there.{QUOTE}

Between the rideplate and intake grate there's a pump shoe, start from there.Is your electric bilge working correctly? are hoses looped and hooked up correctly?Do you hear the bilge cycling off 10 secs after the ski is turned off?

+1
    Sounds like the 03 Cracked tunnel, there was a factory service bulletin on the 03 tunnel cracking. your dealer should have pointed this out to you.

Yes the bilge pump is working or at least I can hear it cycling on & off.

Thanks for your help everyone it's appreciated & thanks for your warm welcome!

I'll let you know how it turns out!

I agree with Bill, sounds like a leaky tunnel. I bought an 2003 that had the same issue, cracked around the mount for the pump shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
    I agree with Bill, sounds like a leaky tunnel. I bought an 2003 that had the same issue, cracked around the mount for the pump shoe.

yes the more research I'm doing the more I suspect it's the tunnel! Hopefully, doing the tunnel reinforcement will solve my leak problem and any problems in the future with tunnel cracking if it's not cracked already! I'm gonna call the dealer & see about the service bulletin!

Thanks again everyone!

Thread Information