Thread: Prop Question?

Prop Question?

Hey guys, so I am looking to get a new prop for my ski so I have faster hole shots off the line as mine is a little slow right now, currently I have the Solas 15/20 prop on my ski with 42's, Fizzle Intercooler, Green SC Wheel, Riva Pro Series nozzle, and 3 inch air intake, but will soon be adding the 4inch air intake. I have been told to run the Skat Trak 14/18 3 blade for faster hole shots and still keep my top end. I race on the weekends so thats why I am looking for faster hole shots. Thanks in advance everyone!

What RPM'S should my ski be running with a 14/18 3 blade prop?

For starters...what year and ski do you have?

2007 RXP

You're running a reduction nozzle...what ring? What rpm are you seeing with the 15/20?

You might wanna hold off on the new prop till you figure out where you are with the 15/20.

I don't believe I've heard of a 3blade prop that won't sacrifice top end for holeshot performance.

When I had my 15/20 on there I was at 8100 rpm, but when racing my boat was like a slug off the line ha. With the courses we race on, there is never an area of the course where you will hit your max speed, to many turns on the course, so I am ok with loosing a mph or 2 with going with this 14/18 so then I get good fast holeshots, which is a main part of the race. I was going to put my stock 83mm nozzle back on my ski with the 14/18 prop?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP85 View Post
    When I had my 15/20 on there I was at 8100 rpm, but when racing my boat was like a slug off the line ha. With the courses we race on, there is never an area of the course where you will hit your max speed, to many turns on the course, so I am ok with loosing a mph or 2 with going with this 14/18 so then I get good fast holeshots, which is a main part of the race. I was going to put my stock 83mm nozzle back on my ski with the 14/18 prop?
    The 14/18 is a good prop but you may be slightly under powered to turn it to 8100.

I was running X charger, intercooler, 4 inch air and fully modded exhaust system with duel regs and 42s and only turning that prop to 8150.

I would start by going back to the 83mm nozzle ( bigger the nozzle the better the holeshot will be), you can make that prop holeshot better, remember that if it slightly slower for the first few meters but much faster uptop you will still take the hole shot, you have to worry if some 1 is faster out the gate and faster topend.

Get the 83mm nozzle in work out where your revs are at, then send the prop to a pro and tell them you want max holeshot with good mid and top rather than having an all topend prop.

Belive me 4 blades can get very good holeshots, but the three blades will always hookup better and if you are making big power quite offen you cant make the 4 blades steep enough to keep RPM under control without the prop hitting the pump housing.

Hope that helps some R88

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    The 14/18 is a good prop but you may be slightly under powered to turn it to 8100.

I was running X charger, intercooler, 4 inch air and fully modded exhaust system with duel regs and 42s and only turning that prop to 8150.

I would start by going back to the 83mm nozzle ( bigger the nozzle the better the holeshot will be), you can make that prop holeshot better, remember that if it slightly slower for the first few meters but much faster uptop you will still take the hole shot, you have to worry if some 1 is faster out the gate and faster topend.

Get the 83mm nozzle in work out where your revs are at, then send the prop to a pro and tell them you want max holeshot with good mid and top rather than having an all topend prop.

Belive me 4 blades can get very good holeshots, but the three blades will always hookup better and if you are making big power quite offen you cant make the 4 blades steep enough to keep RPM under control without the prop hitting the pump housing.

Hope that helps some R88
    Thanks R88, for right now I am not to worried about loosing a mph or 2, like you said to the holeshot is what matters the most, plus how the courses are set up, there is never any room for your ski to hit max mph, so as long as i am fast off the line, and around the turns, thats what I am really looking for, then after I get some more $$$ saved up I will ad something to get my mph's back.

Thread Information