Question Where to buy carb check valve grommets?

Was rebuilding the carbs last night with a Mikuni rebuild kit. Ending up tearing the check valve grommets on the 1st carb! Need two more now and gotta go find the tool to insert these thing correctly.

Anybody have at least two laying around? A few bucks coming back your way if you have them! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DKFox View Post
    Was rebuilding the carbs last night with a Mikuni rebuild kit. Ending up tearing the check valve grommets on the 1st carb! Need two more now and gotta go find the tool to insert these thing correctly.

Anybody have at least two laying around? A few bucks coming back your way if you have them! Thanks!!!

http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/mik...dual_parts.htm

Maybe this helps? Not sure cuz you haven't listed any specific info on what you ride and what carbs are on your ski.

This one is a 1998 SeaDoo SPX. Has dual Mikuni BN38 stock carbs. I bought the kits from Atlantic Jet Sports along with some replacement needle and seats.

The two grommets (I probably ruined) both have holes in the end of them now. I was installing with a rounded hex key.... that apparently wasn't rounded enough! Although I was trying to be careful I didn't stop pushing in time and broke through the ends. I'm going to try and fill the tiny holes with silicone gasket maker. (Since they want $2.66 a piece plus $6.89 to ship two very tiny pieces of rubber!)

I read another post that said to use a 1/8th inch rivet (top side piece) to push the grommets thru the carb body. I also learned today that the part number for the "Check Valve Retaining Plug Installation Tool" is 3804-0006. About $6.00 + that again in shipping. Also a Winderosa 451470 installation tool out there for about the same price. But I believe I'll try the rivet trick first since I have a bunch of those already in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by DKFox View Post
    This one is a 1998 SeaDoo SPX. Has dual Mikuni BN38 stock carbs. I bought the kits from Atlantic Jet Sports along with some replacement needle and seats.

The two grommets (I probably ruined) both have holes in the end of them now. I was installing with a rounded hex key.... that apparently wasn't rounded enough! Although I was trying to be careful I didn't stop pushing in time and broke through the ends. I'm going to try and fill the tiny holes with silicone gasket maker. (Since they want $2.66 a piece plus $6.89 to ship two very tiny pieces of rubber!)

I read another post that said to use a 1/8th inch rivet (top side piece) to push the grommets thru the carb body. I also learned today that the part number for the "Check Valve Retaining Plug Installation Tool" is 3804-0006. About $6.00 + that again in shipping. Also a Winderosa 451470 installation tool out there for about the same price. But I believe I'll try the rivet trick first since I have a bunch of those already in the garage!

Your going to go to all that trouble to potentially have to tear it all back apart over 12 bucks? Not to sound harsh or anything but..... Hey if it works then cool. If it were me I would ask around about that fix idea ya have and see if anyone else has done it. If so then go for it give it a shot.

Hey try this on the next set when you get 'em. Take a piece of dental floss and loop it once all the way around the thin portion of the grommet. Take the two ends and feed them through the way you want the grommet to run and lube the grommet / pull through while rocking flossback and forth or in a circle and they will pull right through. Once through you can pull on one end of the floss and remove. You will not tear the grommet and you'll be amazed at how easy they pop in.

+1
    Is the economy that screwed over their that you cant afford rubber grommets ? It will cost a lot more than $12 if you lean seize that engine.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Is the economy that screwed over their that you cant afford rubber grommets ? It will cost a lot more than $12 if you lean seize that engine.
    No doubt the economy could be better....

But all the same its sure hard to turn right around an pay another $12 for two tiny rubber grommets when I just paid $45 for a rebuild kit that was just opened! Multiply that by the 5 skis that I'm currently rebuilding- 2 rebuild kits per ski- and thatís a lot of money already in it just for carb rebuilds! BTW for this one I finally wised up and just used 2 grommets out of another kit. Duh... the check valves are only in the Mag side carb anyway! (Lesson Learned: Don't work on these things after midnight because sleep deprivation WILL kick in! )

These Doo's are definitely luxuries and not necessities.... but I admit they are a ton of fun!!!

Dental floss??? Sure didn't think of that one!

I've got several more carbs to do so I'll give it a try. (The rivet trick worked too but it still wasn't easy.) Esle I'm stopping until I get the right tool in hand!

+1
    Yup those grommets are a Biotch.

+1
    i used spit and my thumb.

floss sounds like more fun. Have your g/f watch and i bet you get laid too.

yeah i'd try the floss.

Thread Information