Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Step right up....Pick a ski....any ski!

Hi everyone... total newb here to musclecrafts but I am eager to learn. Have had dirt bikes, cars, motorcycles, but never a fast pwc. I am ready to buy one hopefully soon and I am looking for some suggestions. I really don't want a seadoo and I want to stroke... so that leaves me with the gp's. I found a couple skiis but have narrowed it down to 2. Both around the same price. Now I have been trying to do my research on them. The 2 skiis I am looking at are a 01 gp1200r and an 03 gp1300r. Off the bat I am thinking the stock gp1300r with only 91 hours and a double trailer (my brother might get a ski if I get a ski). BUT, the this is what the gpr1200 has:
    01 GPR1200r

RD D-Plate
    RD Ride plate
    RD Intake Grate
    RD Pump Seal Kit
    Solas 13/19 Impeller
    Riva Free Flow Exhaust
    Custom Wave Eater Clips
    Riva Boysen Reed Stuffers
    Stainless Steel SHO Jet Nozzle
    RD Power Penum Flame Arrestor
    Marks "RPM Mod" Carbs, Fully Jetted
    Bandit Trailer - Modified with a long tongue
    ***also a brand new set of carbs which have been modified to match the proper fuel flow and compression of the upgraded motor.

Beiing that the 1200 is modded with those parts and the 1300 is stock with 91 hours and a double trailer, What is a better deal? Honestly which one is going to be faster as it sits now along with reliability? Can't really start modding and dumping money into a ski because I will be doing it with a supra lol. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to be part of this 2stroke performance community! Feel free to flame away now!

+1

which one

For reliability go with the fuel injected 03.Being a member of this informative forum for almost 2yrs I,ve read too too many problems with carburetor skis.Not that the excellent tuners and exp. members can't walk you through any carb related prob.If you have exp. with carbs then it won't play a factor,just that EFI is more reliable IMHO.Maybe i'm a little bias but also the stock 03 you can design your own "set up" for speed, just going to pay a little.But if you know how to wrench and i think you do, then you'll enjoy building your own custom ski,good luck

+1
    It would help to know what each one costs.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    It would help to know what each one costs.
    Good point, the 03 gpr1300r with double trailer is 3300 (lowest owner will go) and the 01 gp1200r is 3200 (lowest also).

I am familiar with carbs from 2 stroke dirtbikes. I am basically looking for the better speed and reliability of the 2. The owner of the gpr1200 says that his ski is faster than modded 1300r is that possible? Right now I have no idea... torn between the 2 only because I would not be able to put money into it right away. I wish one had triple pipes... easier decision!

+1

triple pipes

don't believe there possible on the EFI (03) ski,maybe someone can elaborate on that, i'm curious myself

+1
    Having a carbed GPR, I naturally want to tell you to get the carbed one. But if you are looking for a set-it-and-forget-it ski, maybe the EFI is a better choice. If you're comfortable piddling with carbs, I'd say go for it. And by the way, it is absolutely possible for a carbed ski to be faster than an EFI ski. Been done many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    it is absolutely possible for a carbed ski to be faster than an EFI ski. Been done many, many times.
    Owe yeah, I am sure its been done many times before. I should have clarified... The way he has his set up. IDK... and here goes info on the triple pipes on 1300r http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41218. I am trying to find out what all those mods do and whether they lean more towards a stage 1 or stage 2 set up. Also hows the gas on these things?

+1
    get the EFI 1300

easy decision, 1300 EFI motor is a much better set-up

the added value of the double trailer balances out most of the mods on the 1200

if you get the 1300 plan to also do these mods as a minimum

Riva D-Plate ($75)
    Wave Eater Clips ($60)

I was told that the 1200r does 72 (gps) and out the hole quick... those 2 mods for the 1300r, does that add to the speed? I thought that if you do the dplate then you have to do a chip or efi control unit because the computer is used to the cat?

+1

triple pipes

Quote Originally Posted by 215kid View Post
    Owe yeah, I am sure its been done many times before. I should have clarified... The way he has his set up. IDK... and here goes info on the triple pipes on 1300r http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41218. I am trying to find out what all those mods do and whether they lean more towards a stage 1 or stage 2 set up. Also hows the gas on these things?
    I see there still sold at R&D(stage 5) but don't remember reading that anyone's been using them on an EFI ski.Way too expensive($2000) and are known to crack.For that money and risk I would go with a keyway and a nice custom Nitro set up,game over

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information