Flipped a 4TEC-Have a couple questions

Well....had happen what I never thought would. Had the 2003 4TEC SC's out yesterday with a newbie riding one of them with his 2 kids & they got messed up & flipped. The ski was upside down 3 minutes or so before we got the kids settled down & righted her. When flipped back I had the guy start & run it right away......it had definately taken on a fair bit of water but started & ran fine......we then went back to the launch...about 45 minute ride @ 25 or so MPH.......

anyway got back to the launch & most of the water had drained out the bailers.

So I'm just curious if I need to check or do anything else other than let it dry out......

Also...don't these ski's have some sort of TIPS or protection system preventing oil flow when flipped.....

Thanks.......mike

best thing to do is drain all the water out and go ride it to get some heat built up to take the humidity out of the hull. After you ride coat the engine down with some sort of anti corrosive.......Seadoo XPS lube, WD40 anything is better than nothing to avoid corrosion. If no water got into the engine you should be good.

just to be sure check your dipstick to see if the oil looks milky if it does have the oil changed a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by jitees View Post
    Well....had happen what I never thought would. Had the 2003 4TEC SC's out yesterday with a newbie riding one of them with his 2 kids & they got messed up & flipped. The ski was upside down 3 minutes or so before we got the kids settled down & righted her. When flipped back I had the guy start & run it right away......it had definately taken on a fair bit of water but started & ran fine......we then went back to the launch...about 45 minute ride @ 25 or so MPH.......

anyway got back to the launch & most of the water had drained out the bailers.

So I'm just curious if I need to check or do anything else other than let it dry out......

Also...don't these ski's have some sort of TIPS or protection system preventing oil flow when flipped.....

Thanks.......mike
    Sea Doo says if it is inverted for more than 5 minutes, water ingestion is possible so don't start it and tow it in - take it to a dealer for water draining (engine).

If you were inverted for 3 minutes and then righted it and it started and ran normally, I'd say up are fine. Just run it for a while as suggested and leave the seats off to let some air in to dry it out.

Now teach the kids that the first thing they do after rolling the Sea Doo is to make sure everyone is Ok, then quickly swim over to the Sea Doo and rol it upright!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    Now teach the kids that the first thing they do after rolling the Sea Doo is to make sure everyone is Ok, then quickly swim over to the Sea Doo and rol it upright!
    +1, and be sure to read no. 7 here and write it on the chalkboard 50 times before leaving class...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93951

also how do you unflip it ? is it easy ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Paul View Post
    It's not too bad in calm water; but when you capsize a PWC you should always look for a label on the stern when rolling it back over. For example, our old FX-140's had to be flipped a certain direction to avoid engine damage. If they do not include this label you want to check the owners manual for that specific PWC so you know what to do if it happens on yours.

As for righting the capsized watercraft; most people will swim to one side of the PWC and start pushing down on the near side. Then after it begins to roll they just grab the footwell on the opposite side and pull that towards you as it rises in the air; eventually the PWC will roll over and right itself. They are designed to be righted by a swimmer, but as PWC continue to get bigger and heavier, righting them will take more effort. All of this is subject to conditions; if you get caught in heavy surf, it can be very difficult to correct (or even stay on top of a PWC) with big waves hitting you. See video here:

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Paul View Post
    It is very simple; swim up to the craft, grab the sponson on the side and push down on it, while reaching for the intake grate. As soon as you have a hold of the grate, pull and the GTX hull will roll upright very easily.

+1
    If it started your fine. I bet I flipped my 06 gtx 30 plus times. Lol. Just swim back up to it, stand on sponson while holding onto intake grate. Flipps right back over.

Thread Information