Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

TBM fuel cell leaking....A LOT!

Just had my TBM fuel cell installed, and went to the river this weekend to discover that it leaks. And I didn't discover it until day 2. Went out in the morning on day two to find appx. 2 gallons of gas in the bottom of my ski...."F**k".
    I took the seat off and I could hear something that sounded like a trickling faucet (running ALL night long). When I reached down in, I could feel the gas at the bottom...."F**k". I, clearly, rode the day before with who knows how much GAS sloshing around the bottom of my ski...no wonder it was so hard to dial in my AFR's. My ski was bogging down in the beginning with me thinking the new FPR was set way too high when the whole time it was from the GAS FUMES inside the engine compartment. "F**K"

Anyone else have a TBM fuel cell leak? It has to be leaking from one of the two "fittings", right?

+1
    Mine didn't leak but somehow the vent doesn't work--either I kinked the vent tube when installing the TBM tank (not sure how I could keep this from happening) or I installed the vent incorrectly (it's not rocket science and the instructions are simple and step by step). Got an e-mail into TBM asking if they've seen this before.

Didn't even know the vent wasn't working until my SC clutch went and I started to remove my intake. From what I've heard, the main tank was shrunk like Canadian Swamp Kings nuts when he rides in January.

My guess Gary is that one of the two quick disconnects weren't properly connected on the bottom of the TBM fuel cell.

+1

Thumbs up Proper venting please read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Mine didn't leak but somehow the vent doesn't work--either I kinked the vent tube when installing the TBM tank (not sure how I could keep this from happening) or I installed the vent incorrectly (it's not rocket science and the instructions are simple and step by step). Got an e-mail into TBM asking if they've seen this before.

Didn't even know the vent wasn't working until my SC clutch went and I started to remove my intake. From what I've heard, the main tank was shrunk like Canadian Swamp Kings nuts when he rides in January.

My guess Gary is that one of the two quick disconnects weren't properly connected.

Hi there buddy,

So far everyone I know including myself has had breathing issues so here is what I did.

I went by RIVA MOTORSPORTS and picked up some extra fuel line and I kept the OEM breather fitting exactly in the factory position (this is very important to keep the check valves from locking closed preventing the main tank to breathe). Then I simply extended the breather line to meet the factory breather fitting. TBM did a good job on the tank, I really like it, However they facked up the hell out of the instructions, Their feed line is perfectly fine in length, However their breather line is just too DAM short and if you follow their instructions you will choke your main tank.

Also since I have a RIVA engine cooling kit I chose to reroute the inter cooling cooling lines using PCV grommets off the shelf as well as my battery cables to gain maximum clearance for my TBM fuel lines.

Having said that, I have been using mine for 10 hours and have nothing but good things to say about it. It is great to know I now have 25 gallons of usable gas Take care, Julio...

+1
    Sorry to hijack your thread Gary BUT Julio--when you talk about the OEM breather fitting, what exactly is this? The OEM fuel tank vent gets hooked to the TBM fuel cell (out) and becomes the supply. The TBM vent gets hooked to the OEM vent. Then, the TBM cell is used first and the OEM tank is used second. Gauge works for the main cell. Doesn't seem complicated until your main tank is all shrunk-up.

Not really understanding what you did Julio to solve your vent issues.

+1
    Sorry to hijack your thread Gary

Feel free...I'm listening.

+1

Thumbs up DIAGRAM

Sorry to hijack your thread Gary BUT Julio--when you talk about the OEM breather fitting, what exactly is this? The OEM fuel tank vent gets hooked to the TBM fuel cell (out) and becomes the supply. The TBM vent gets hooked to the OEM vent. Then, the TBM cell is used first and the OEM tank is used second. Gauge works for the main cell. Doesn't seem complicated until your main tank is all shrunk-up.

I will draw up a diagram to better explain it. Take care, Julio...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    I will draw up a diagram to better explain it. Take care, Julio...
    Thank-you Sir. I do much better with pictures.

+1

Thumbs up Pictures

Hello everyone,

Here are some pictures of the lines routing, Please note the TBM feed line goes directly connected to the OEM tank fitting. The TBM breather line however gets connected to the OEM check valve fitting in place of the short black line disconnected from the OEM tank. My set up may appear a little different because I replaced the OEM black line that goes from the check valve to the catch can. I also decided to remove one of the check valves so I only show one. I hope this helps, I'm working on a diagram. Take care, Julio...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel line routing 001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	194932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel line routing 002.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	194933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STAGE III install 050810 002.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	194934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STAGE III install 050910 007.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	194935  

+1
    I don't work for TBM, but I use the fuel cell. I have experienced both of the issues that you guys are talking about and I have solved them. The first issue is your leak. I experienced this and noticed that my o-ring on the 1 of the quick disconnects were not present. When you plug and unplug the quick disconnects you can pull the o-ring off. If the o-ring is not present it will leak. I took the o-ring I lost and grabbed the o-ring on the RIVA I/C flush tube and used that one so I could fix the problem instantly.

The 2nd issue is the kink with the feed line. When it kinks, it will not feed fuel to your motor and the OEM fuel tank will look like a 500 lb woman sat on your fuel tank. I have attached 3 pictures below, which fixed the kink issue. The first picture is the kink. I have extra things going thru the bulkhead hole so those things can push on the feed line a bit causing a kink. The 2nd and 3rd picture was my own solution. What I did was get a tube. Sliced it. Put it around the feed line. And put many zip ties on it. It make it more rigid but still flexible. If it needs to bend...it will, but it won't kink. I also angled it to point to the bulkhead hole so the line goes straight thru. Attached are the pics. Make sure you contact TBM with questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	194954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solution - Step 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	194955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solution - Step 002.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	194956  

Mine works fine...

As long as you follow the instructions it should be set up fine...

A kink line will stop or slow the flow down or even cause gas to flow through the vent into the hull... after you install the tank, pull the lines back forward to insure they dont get kinked and are straight and make sure they are secured...

Also make sure that the check valves work before installation..

There are two... the one at the top is for the vent and the bottom one is for the feed... the feed valve has to stay vertical cause its a one way(feed).. The nxt doesnt matter cause its a 2way(vent)...

Hope this info helps...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information