Thread: Cleaning carbs

Cleaning carbs

Alright I pulled the carbs off my 94 slt 750 today and disasembled them. I have one problem and one question.
    Problem when I took the middle carb and the rear carb apart the pivot screw broke off in carb, this did not happen on the front carb. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? What size are the screws and how did you remove the broken piece?

Question what is the best cleaner to use on body and loose parts? Also my service manual said to remove the main jet and its o-ring, but when i pulled out the main jet there was no o-ring on any of the three.

+1
    What pivot screw? #8?

The jets do not have o-rings.

Any good spray carb cleaner will work.

Oh welcome to the Hulk.

Yes it is #8 on the diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by bpj280 View Post
    Yes it is #8 on the diagram.
    Why would you take that out?

This is the method the service manual says to clean the carburator. It is the only way to get the fuel inlet needle out so it can be cleaned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cwag911 View Post
    Why would you take that out?
    Ahh, there are two #8's on the diagram. One is the screw that holds the butterflies to the shaft, the other is the screw that holds down the needle pivot arm shaft. They are identical screws so that's most likely why they are numbered the same.

My guess is the OP snapped off the screw that holds the needle pivot shaft. Funny, I just did the same thing last week My buddy suggested getting a left handed drill bit and trying to extract it that way. I've been hitting that screw with a shot of Aero Kroil penetrating oil each of the last several days. I'm going to get some left handed bits and try to extract the screw this weekend. I'll probably get one of those mini butane torches and hit the screw with some heat before I try to back it out with the drill bit.

I'm not sure what size that screw is. I plan to take one of my good screws to the hardware store to find a replacement.

KJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Ahh, there are two #8's on the diagram. One is the screw that holds the butterflies to the shaft, the other is the screw that holds down the needle pivot arm shaft. They are identical screws so that's most likely why they are numbered the same.

My guess is the OP snapped off the screw that holds the needle pivot shaft. Funny, I just did the same thing last week My buddy suggested getting a left handed drill bit and trying to extract it that way. I've been hitting that screw with a shot of Aero Kroil penetrating oil each of the last several days. I'm going to get some left handed bits and try to extract the screw this weekend. I'll probably get one of those mini butane torches and hit the screw with some heat before I try to back it out with the drill bit.

I'm not sure what size that screw is. I plan to take one of my good screws to the hardware store to find a replacement.

KJ
    You may be better off just using a screw extractor. The left hand bit may work, but if it grabs and then jumps off it may cause further damage. I don't know what size that screw is but when I was a toolmaker I used extractors as small as 1/16". The left hand drill seems easier but like I said it can grab and jump.

Thread Information