Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

New LED lights for the trailer

I thought I would put up on here my new LED lights I'm putting together for my double trailer. After some reading, I decided to go with the Peterson Manufacturing Piranha LED lights over the other Blazer and Optronics brand names.

I was lucky enough to go to Walmart and pick up the clearance lights before they were liquidated. So far I have the rear clearance lights and the side clearance lights, as well as new wiring and heat shrink butt connectors.

I still need to buy a new license plate light, stop/turn/tail lights, and the center identification light.

Question: Are the 10 diode stop/turn/tail lights worth almost the double price over the 7 diode lights?

Also, Peterson Manufacturing has not yet released their LED license plate light....are there any alternatives? I think I saw an Optronics LED license plate light but I'm a bit weary if it really is waterproof and/or submersible.

I'm also having a problem finding a Peterson Manufacturing identification light that is LED. Any leads on a good priced one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0459.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	194896  

+1
    I have not had any luck running led's on my trailers. The led's just dont seem to hold up to the pounding and submerging. Switched back to good ole incandescent lights.

+1
    What brand were you using?

+1
    Dont remember. Got them at Academy one time and Walmart the other time. Both of them claimed to be submersable, but after awhile some of the led's would not light up.

+1
    Interesting...the only brand I've seen at Academy is Optronics and many are not very fond of them. It also has a lot to do with how you install them. Here is a post someone made that is very true. As long as those wires are all waterproofed, you shouldn't have any problems. Perhaps you had some corrosion build up on your connections?

LED lights are great

+1
    I just put a set of led's on my double trailer. They are nice and bright. We will see how long they last. The regular lights last about a season in the salt water. The socket for the bulb rots out and they are done.

Been running LED lights for the past 3 years after having nothing but trouble with standard incadecent bulbs...... have not had a single failure or issue since, everybody I ride with still using regular bulbs constantly have issues with bulbs breaking or going out (these are guys with new Triton trailers). I am dead sold on LED lighting for any type of trailer that gets submerged.

+1
    I got one side done...finally! I need to just get this finished but I'm still missing my stop/tail/turn lights. They should be in later this week. I ended up going with the 10 diode lights because I ended up having a connection for them. I also bought the ID light that is KICK ASS!! It is three sealed lights mounted on an aluminum frame.

I used both heat shrink butt connectors to seal up the connections as well as liquid electrical tape to seal it up good. On the ground connections, I used stainless hardware and also coated the terminals with the liquid electrical tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0466.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	203170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0467.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	203169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0468.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	203168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0469.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	203171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0470.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	203172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0471.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	203173  

XLTNoob
    Just remember that in Texas, the 3-light cluster at the center of the trailer is only mandatory on trailers 80" or more in width. Some people like the way they look, but most PWC trailers (except duals, triples, & 4-place) do not need them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information