Thread: NEED HELP!!!!

NEED HELP!!!!

Is there any one out there that could help me? I have been pulling my hair out on this project that I got my self into. I have a 1990 650sx that I pulled the stock motor out of and replcaced it with an 88 650 that was built. I got the motor for free from a guy who was about to have a baby and didnt have the time to put it in his ski. The motor has a mariner head with two water fittings comming out of it, it has a westcoast pipe, west coast intake manifold, west coast exhaust manifold and a much bigger carb then stock motor im not sure at all what is or could be done inside the motor! My Questions are does anyone have the same setup that could tell me how to hook up the cooling lines the right way, and the other question is that when I start the ski it would run pretty rough I then pulled the plugs and they were soaked with fuel yet it whould still run just not good, so I checked the compression and it was around 175. I just dont know where to go from here im runing a 40:1 pre mix with pump gas, do I need to run race fuel? What else should I do?

Alright buddy, first welcome to the board! Second I'm about as new to this as you are but my 87 is damn near the same except I'm running a 750 motor. The setup I have is both the cooling lines coming from the drive shaft area both hook up to the head. There's a fitting on the exhaust manifold that runs to the small end of the exhaust pipe. Put a 3/8 inch brass T fitting in that somewhere and run that to your pisser. The octane gas you run really depends on the domes inside the head but with that high of a compression you're looking at 100+ octane race fuel. Let us know what carb you have also. With the Mikuni 44 I'm running 2 turns out on high and 1 1/8 out on low and it's pretty zippy...flat out white knuckle trying to hold on until top speed is reached, which is 55ish. You should get 50 out of your setup so do yourself a big favor and get a different ride plate, and a top loader intake grate if you ride in any chop at all. You will have a great time with the ski once you get it running right, good luck man

Thanks alot man for takeing the time to help me out. So looking at the motor with the carb being on ur right there is a black water line behind the carb that goes to the back however this hose does not hook into the pump housing, so i believe this hose would dump water from out of the head correct? And the other cooling line that is tapped into the pump housing your saying goes into the fitting on the head where the garden hose flush hookup is? The way I had that line hooked up it was going into the exhaust manifold. The west coast pipe has three fittings on it, one is at the front of the westcoast label by the head the other is on the back side of the pipe faceing the back of the ski the other is down near the water box tubeing how do I hook all of this up? P.S I will look into the carb size, and again I thank you for replying to my post.

NEED HELP!!!

Thanks alot man for takeing the time to help me out. So looking at the motor with the carb being on ur right there is a black water line behind the carb that goes to the back however this hose does not hook into the pump housing, so i believe this hose would dump water from out of the head correct? And the other cooling line that is tapped into the pump housing your saying goes into the fitting on the head where the garden hose flush hookup is? The way I had that line hooked up it was going into the exhaust manifold. The west coast pipe has three fittings on it, one is at the front of the westcoast label by the head the other is on the back side of the pipe faceing the back of the ski the other is down near the water box tubeing how do I hook all of this up? P.S I will look into the carb size, and again I thank you for replying to my post.

Thread Information