newbie with a gti le

Hi new to pwc and this forum. I have ridden these before but this 2002 gti le is the first one I've had ownership of. I traded it for my 96 sugar sand heat jet boat. Mercury stopped producing parts for the sport jet so I figured its time to move on. When this GTi popped up I jumped at it. Got it home took it out and could only muster 30mph the motor was just gutless. Took it home took out the marine two stroke and replaced it with some Interceptor and changed the plugs. The next time out 35mph but the motor was still bogging in the midrange. I am pulling off the OPAS and there was a pile of fishing line wrapped around the impeller shaft. Got a carb kit for it and I'm cleaning the fuel selector. Is there any tricks to get more power out of this thing? After I get it sorted out. Engine swap? Dual carbs? more compression? Porting? or am I barking up the wrong tree. Should I save my money and trade up for a four stroke next year?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_k View Post
    Hi new to pwc and this forum. I have ridden these before but this 2002 gti le is the first one I've had ownership of. I traded it for my 96 sugar sand heat jet boat. Mercury stopped producing parts for the sport jet so I figured its time to move on. When this GTi popped up I jumped at it. Got it home took it out and could only muster 30mph the motor was just gutless. Took it home took out the marine two stroke and replaced it with some Interceptor and changed the plugs. The next time out 35mph but the motor was still bogging in the midrange. I am pulling off the OPAS and there was a pile of fishing line wrapped around the impeller shaft. Got a carb kit for it and I'm cleaning the fuel selector. Is there any tricks to get more power out of this thing? After I get it sorted out. Engine swap? Dual carbs? more compression? Porting? or am I barking up the wrong tree. Should I save my money and trade up for a four stroke next year?
    Welcome to the Forum!

I think that you found your problem with the fishing line around the driveshaft. Id be weary of the carbon ring that seals the driveshaft from the inside of the hull. that may have gotten damaged. are you taking on water? if you are you need to change that out. cleaning the fuel system will help also and may help your issue also. as for upgrades...personally id save my money and upgrade next year. you can throw tons of money at a 720 and be stuck at 55mph. Id save up and get an 06 RXP , RXT, or SC GTX.

I would agree to save and trade up next year. I have a 02 GTi with the 717cc 2 stoke in it also. The guy I bought it from put a new motor in it the year before I bought it and even then, when I took my gps to see what I would top out at, it stopped at 39mph - never got to 40. I'm happy with my ski in all cause I got it cheap and it gives my wife and I just the get away we need.

Thats what I was thinking guys. I have if its never been done before I need to do it problem even if its not a good idea sometimes.

Removed the fishing line and the OPAS hit 40 today with my son and a full tank of fuel. Its a lot more fun to ride. This may turn into an addiction.

Thread Information