MSX 110 Problem with Spark Plug

Hello everyone. I have a 2004 Polaris MSX 110. I bought the ski new in 04. The dealership from which I purchased the ski closed their business about two years after I bought it. Needless to say, I haven't been able to find anyone close to my area that has specific knowledge of the MSX platform so i have decided to tackle this one myself.

One day, after three or four hours of riding, I quickly recognized a hard miss in the engine. I took it home and removed the spark plugs and found that the gap in the rear spark plug had been closed as if something had hit it. I looked in the cylinder through the spark plug hole in the head and didn't observe any marks that would resemble contact from the piston. I also don't see any contact marks on the spark plug. I have been through two sets of plugs, fresh gas (91 octane rating), and a new fuel filter with no different results. The ski runs great out of the water but no more than one hundred yards from the boat ramp it starts to miss. Every time its been the same spark plug. What do i do now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	194906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	194907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	194908  

+1
    That does not look to be the right spark plug, can we have some numbers please?

Spark being used is a champion rc9yc. It's what the champion book called for at the napa auto parts store.

+1
    do a compression check on that engine. Looks like your intercooler has or is coming apart on the inside. The bronze color is from the copper in the intercooler. it is not uncommon for this to happen on the MSX 110. I would also perform a leakdown test on this engine(rockers off) is the only way to do it correctly.

let us know what you find...

Jay

Well today I changed the spark plugs to an NGK BKR7EIX (stock #2667). The ski runs without a miss, however it has very slow throttle response and revs to only 6300 rpms (about 45 mph on smooth water). The compression checks good and the intercooler appears to be good. I don't have a way to do a leak down test but I feel pretty good about the mechanics of the engine. I also checked the waste gate and it is moving freely. This ski was overfilled with oil one time in the past and both map sensors were replaced and the intercooler and intake were cleaned. The engine runs too good to have a mechanical problem. I am almost certain there is a problem with the ECM. Is it possible that it needs to be flashed and reprogrammed?

It was found that the problem with the spark plugs was that it was simply the wrong spark plug. The champion RC9YC would get so hot that the side electrode or ground electrode would magnetically collapse the spark plug gap. The best solution was to go with the original plug number listed in the owners manual.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    So is the engine now running properly?

What was needed to get it running properly?

+1
    Thanks for the update. It's nice to hear something non-negative about these Webers for a change.

So it's been running well for you all these years? How many hours do you have on it?

Sad to say, currently it's not running. This past weekend, I discovered the turbocharger needs to be replaced, as the compressor cartridge is very loose within the turbo housing. I am interested in the turbo upgrade from weber power.com but I don't have any performance modifications done to the engine so I don't know if the upgrade or a standard replacement would be best. I'd rather not go with a used one as you never know if one has been over spun, which is what I believe to have happened to mine (over-revving the engine out of the water). Regardless, the turbo will have to be replaced. I refuse to give up on this thing. I believe I'm currently at 93.6 engine hours.

Thread Information