Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weird Ultra 150 Issue

Last year I had a passenger on my Ultra 150, the weight limit was close, and I literally went from 60mph to 15mph top speed in a split second. When I run this thing on a hose I can rev it to the 8,000rpm limit; however, in the water it revs out to only 3900 and stops climbing. I can slowly get it to 20mph and that's it. Plus, it has a lot of problems starting. Since last summer, as a trouble-shooting plan, I've rebuilt the carbs (were dirty due to previous owner letting it sit with no winterization), checked for proper spark and compression, and visually checked the jet drive system. The fuel filter and plugs have been changed and the gas tank was ciphoned and new gas put in. I had a prominent yamaha dealer in the area tell me it may be a temperature sensor/ECU thing protecting the engine because of the weight I had on it. I had a kawasaki dealer look at it and they saw no problems...probably because it only has this issue in the water. Took it out this past weekend hoping the rebuilt carbs fixed the problem...it's still doing it. BTW, this happened originally when the ski had only 90 hours on it! I see some threads with topics which are close and they talk about the fuel pump and/or the drive system. should these be the next things I check?

Are you getting a warning light on the dash? If it is the overheat sensor it will throw a warning light. Next I would run it for 30 seconds or so and then check the temp of the plug bases. That will tell you if your running on 3 cylinders. Next would be pull the pump and check the pump bearings. It does sound like the pump could be the issue given the other things you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Next would be pull the pump and check the pump bearings. It does sound like the pump could be the issue given the other things you have done.
    +1

I agree since this problems seems to only be happening under load (AKA in the water)

My 99 did the same thing last summer right before a huge piece of my crank case flew off...106 hours

99 ultra issue

Thanks for the respones! I do not get a warning light and the cylinders are all firing. Sounds like it's the pump/bearing issue.

latest update

OK I got the ski back from the dealer today and they are still dumbfounded. They called Kawasaki to see if they could help, no dice. They took the pump off and said that the bearings seemed good (as they spun the impeller by hand). I told them to leave it apart and I would put it back together. After I got it home, I took the rest of the pump apart and there was a lot of brown water inside the housing. There also was "some" play and very little bearing feel when it spun but not bad. My theory is that you can't tell that the bearings are really bad, at this stage, by spinning the impeller by hand. But when the impeller is trying to spin at 6,000rpm, the bearings heat up, expand and start to have some friction. Is it normal to have water in the housing? Does this sound like what you guys found after taking your pumps apart (other ultra guys)? Also, can I use the 2005 Ultra oil seals as an upgrade? They have three seals instead of two. It's getting frustrating too because the mechanics over there think I'm crazy because the ski acts ok out of the water!
    Last edited by 99ultra150; 06-25-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by 99ultra150 View Post
    OK I got the ski back from the dealer today and they are still dumbfounded. They called Kawasaki to see if they could help, no dice. They took the pump off and said that the bearings seemed good (as they spun the impeller by hand). I told them to leave it apart and I would put it back together. After I got it home, I took the rest of the pump apart and there was a lot of brown water inside the housing. There also was "some" play and very little bearing feel when it spun but not bad. My theory is that you can't tell that the bearings are really bad, at this stage, by spinning the impeller by hand. But when the impeller is trying to spin at 6,000rpm, the bearings heat up, expand and start to have some friction. Is it normal to have water in the housing? Does this sound like what you guys found after taking your pumps apart (other ultra guys)? Also, can I use the 2005 Ultra oil seals as an upgrade? They have three seals instead of two. It's getting frustrating too because the mechanics over there think I'm crazy because the ski acts ok out of the water!
    Take it to a different dealer because what you are describing is exactly what you would see with bad pump bearings/seals. Is the water you are referring to in the cone of the pump (the end of the pump)? That is a classic sign that the pump seals are bad and if the seals are bad, the bearing is bad as well. Also, you said there was some play in the impeller. If that play is side to side your bearings are shot. Was the play you mentioned side to side or in and out?

And yes, you can use the three seal part on the older skis.

Yep I think you found your problem. Get factory kawi parts for an 05 or send it over to steve at skiworx. You may find your prop is trashed if it rubbed much. If your lucky you can pull a shim or 2 and get the wear ring clearance back good. If its bad then you can possibly have yours repaired or get a solas 16/20 for it. If you get a 16/20 I would get it from skiworx, impros or group k. All 3 of those check them before they send them out.

Yeah I ordered the 2005 rebuild kit. The water was inside the housing including the cone and there was slight side to side movement of the impeller so the assembly was starting to get bad. It wasn't to a point of the impeller scoring the housing yet. Just glad I went with my gut on this one. The dealer didn't even take the time to take the cone off and look inside. They spun the impeller and said it felt good. I almost put the damn thing back on the ski without checking. Keeping my fingers crossed this was the only issue. By the way, any thoughts on the Nujet Destroyer Impellers just to help with bottom end thrust? Thanks for the help folks!!
    Last edited by 99ultra150; 06-26-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling

A stock or mod stock is the best for bottom end. I would only go with a solas 16/20 for aftermarket. I have heard the nujet tends to cavitate off the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information