New to me 96 Venture 1100

All,

I am new to the water world and recently picked up a 97 Waveventure 1100 Triple.

I have a couple of simple questions to get started. My vessel still has the oil injection system in operation which I don't mind. Keeps me from having to carry premix anyway. What oil's have you all found to work best with oil injection? Should I stick with the Yamaha Y2? The parts counter and the service adviser said to stick with Yamaha if I am still injected. I don't know if they say that because they are partial to Yamaha or not. I know not all oils are the same. It's good to have something that burns clean, and doesn't foul plugs on low rpm situation. No wake zones, and waiting for my turn in line to load up at the ramp, I'd hate to start to foul a plug.

Also, I'm aware of the need to pinch off the intake line during a tow situation, however I don't know what line that is. Can somebody with one of the Waveventures get a picture and point out which hose it is that is necessary to pinch off.

So far this thing runs very well. No problems with it and seems to run strong. I haven't done a compression check yet, but would like to for piece of mind. I did change the plugs, I think the gap is around 28?? Whatever the plugs were set to out of the box because I don't have a manual for it yet to know the proper gap. Everything appears to be stock and it's just short of 190 hours.

Lastly, the service guy said the only real routine maintenance required is changing plugs and hitting the zerks. I don't know where the zerks are located yet. Can somebody give me a quick breakdown of what to grease, and what kind of grease is ideal for whatever needs greased.

Thanks for the help folks.

+1
    No real reason not to change to premix. You've invested your time and money into a nice ski and you can toast your engine in an instant due to oil pump failure, clogged line, or the line coming loose. Premix is a bit more of a hassle but in the end I think the peace of mind negates the extra effort.

I only run Amsoil 2 Stroke Dominator in my units. I think you're going to get a varied response here, but the most important thing is that your mixing your stuff 40:1 if you do switch to premix.

Check out my pictures to see your zerk fitting on top of the waterbox. The water inlet is on the left.

Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WV.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	195064  

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated. So there is only one location that you can grease? I thought there were three? Maybe depending on the model I suppose.

That zerk couldn't have been hidden in more of a plain view could it have? I guess I wasn't looking for a zerk with a cover on it. LOL

As for the water line, isn't there a location in the battery compartment that is easier to pinch off? The vertical tube used for the flushing connection won't block of the engine will it? And trying to reach around underneath, I feel several items, some of which could be the power feeds steering cable.

+1
    Yes in the battery compartment there is also the main water inlet line. I forgot to mention that there is also another zero fitting on the stator cover. Follow it that line and you will find the second fitting.

+1
    I really can't think of a reason there would be 3. All I can imagine you need to grease is the bendix and intermediate shaft. And pinching the flush hose will not cut off the water system.

+1
    i run interceptor thru oil injection. keep an eye on your lines, change the zip ties to oetiker clamps, while your doing that throw new lines on, much better IMO than premix.

What, they are held on with a zip-tie from the factory? How bizarre. I'll do a better inspection of my hoses. Most of my lines in the engine bay seem really good, not brittle and nasty as one would expect for such an older unit. I will double check the lines and the connections though.

+1
    yea bro put new lines, u dont need the yamaha ones, use the ones from fuellines.biz oetiker clamps and ur good. or go with premix and have fun at the gas dock etc lol

Thread Information