Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Looking at a Ultra 150 with 120 hours...

    Like I said, Im looking at a Ultra 150 with 120 hours on it. It has never been rebuilt or anything. Regular maintenance has been done and it looks overall pretty good.
    I was wondering what I should look for, what is about to go out at that many hours, and any other helpful info that you may have.
    Thanks in advanced, I look forward to joining the community.


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mapoleon View Post
    Like I said, Im looking at a Ultra 150 with 120 hours on it. It has never been rebuilt or anything. Regular maintenance has been done and it looks overall pretty good.
    I was wondering what I should look for, what is about to go out at that many hours, and any other helpful info that you may have.
    Thanks in advanced, I look forward to joining the community.
    What year is the ski? Some things to look for are governed by time rather than hours on the ski.

    Having said that, common things to look for are, have the pump bearings been changed? If they haven't they will likely be going out soon, if the yaren't already bad. Fuel gauges often go bad over time and stop reading accutrately. Trust me, it sucks getting stranded in the middle of the lake due to being out of gas when the gauge reads 1/4 tank. Something to also consider is there is a common belief that once an Ultra exceeds 150 hours you should begin to think about putting a new top end on it (a new set on pistons). They have been known to break piston skirts after that many hours of use. It costs about $400 to buy a set of pistons before they break a skirt. If you wait until it actually breaks a skirt, and that skirt is pushed out through the case, that cost just went WAY UP because you will be replacing an engine case along with buying a set of pistons.

    I mention this because you should factor that in when determining how much are willing to pay for the ski.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecox1 View Post
    What year is the ski? Some things to look for are governed by time rather than hours on the ski.

    Having said that, common things to look for are, have the pump bearings been changed? If they haven't they will likely be going out soon, if the yaren't already bad. Fuel gauges often go bad over time and stop reading accutrately. Trust me, it sucks getting stranded in the middle of the lake due to being out of gas when the gauge reads 1/4 tank. Something to also consider is there is a common belief that once an Ultra exceeds 150 hours you should begin to think about putting a new top end on it (a new set on pistons). They have been known to break piston skirts after that many hours of use. It costs about $400 to buy a set of pistons before they break a skirt. If you wait until it actually breaks a skirt, and that skirt is pushed out through the case, that cost just went WAY UP because you will be replacing an engine case along with buying a set of pistons.

    I mention this because you should factor that in when determining how much are willing to pay for the ski.
    It is a 1999.
    Yeah, depending on what I hear on here I was planning on doing a rebuild kit in the winter and hope it lasts the summer. Thanks for the advice.

  4. #4
    If you do buy that ski, just remember that the early 99's needed the hotter plug (the $25 a piece plug). So if you buy it and you go to replace those plugs make sure you get the correct ones.

  5. #5
    pokechop2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    summerville sc
    Posts
    223
    man ive got a 99 that ran great for 5 years until i got the high performance bug,109 hrs when i bought it an was still running great at 303 hrs check the compression an change the oil lines out if there havent been done yet.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Conroe (Montgomery,) Texas
    Posts
    417
    +1
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by pokechop2006 View Post
    man ive got a 99 that ran great for 5 years until i got the high performance bug,109 hrs when i bought it an was still running great at 303 hrs check the compression an change the oil lines out if there havent been done yet.
    poke, I think that you're saying that you bought your Ultra with 109 hrs on it and even at 303 hrs, it was still running great. Is that correct? Did you start to modify it after that (5 yrs later) for more performance?

    I'm always looking for info on these skis because I do see them for sale on CL and I'm always interested .

  7. #7
    Water4fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Braunfels TX.
    Posts
    10,073
    +1
    790
    Guys what about a 2001 blue ultra with filters, rejet and a head?
    Low hours.
    Is it a good boat? or junk? What is a good price, no trailer.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    pokechop2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    summerville sc
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    poke, I think that you're saying that you bought your Ultra with 109 hrs on it and even at 303 hrs, it was still running great. Is that correct? Did you start to modify it after that (5 yrs later) for more performance?

    I'm always looking for info on these skis because I do see them for sale on CL and I'm always interested .
    10 4 bro,its fast when running right,hardly can be touched but still working out the bugs.runs with the 260 x an sho as long as your in flat water.

  9. #9
    btldigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    lebanon tn.
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Guys what about a 2001 blue ultra with filters, rejet and a head?
    Low hours.
    Is it a good boat? or junk? What is a good price, no trailer.

    Thanks
    Should be a good boat. There wernt many changes over the years 3k or so would be a good price. A shredmaster plate or sponsons would be a bonus. I would ask who did the carb work, ultras are funny about the f/a's on stock carbs. It may be a skiworx level 1 with some of those mods mentioned. Pump bearings and oil lines are things to watch for, they are cheap enough to fix if caught early but can be expensive if not. It should run with or be a little faster than most of the stock supercharged 4 stroke skis in flat water.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Conroe (Montgomery,) Texas
    Posts
    417
    +1
    10
    poke and btl,

    Both of you say that the Ultra is great in smooth water but I'm going to assume that they're not good in chop. (It seems that I've read this somewhere else in my research as well.) Can you tell us what the ride turns into when the water starts to get rough?

    I think this would be good info for the original poster as well as anyone else on this thread interested in an Ultra 150.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just picked up my 2000 ultra 150 with 29 hOurs on it! I'm back!!!
    By waverider1200 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 10:32 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 11:00 PM
  4. looking at buying an rxp with 377 hours. ??????
    By MGannaway in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-25-2013, 02:24 PM
  5. 2005 ultra 150 with 40 hours
    By dieselm6 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •