What would life be without a PWC?........ goBENGALS's Avatar

HELP!! won't even budge

Hey everyone,

I recently went out to the boat to start it and there was a click when I hit the start button but it didn't roll over or fire up.

Opened e-box, redid all the grounds and replaced .25a fuse and have a fully charged battery.

When I hook it all up and hit start nothing happens AT ALL.

Anyone have ideas? does this sound like my grounds are no good or what? PLease help, I am stumped!!!

+1
    Stuck impeller?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model and year Polaris do you have?

Have you cleaned and checked all the battery cable connections, especially the engine ground for the battery negative cable?

When you press the start button you are getting a click from the start solenoid in the electrical box - correct?

Is there also a clunk heard from the front of the engine, near the starter motor itself?

Also check battery voltage when attempting to crank. Should stay above 10 volts.

Measure the voltage on the starter side of the start solenoid. The voltage should jump up to 10 volts or so when the start button is pressed.

If not, then the solenoid may be bad. To confirm, manually short the two heavy terminals with a screwdriver or pliers. There will be sparks, so use a firm hand. If the engine cranks when you short the terminals, then the solenoid is bad.

If no crank when solenoid is shorted, then remove the jet pump. See if the jet pump is jammed.

+1
    Pull plugs, can you spin engine by hand?

98' 785

Thanks for the quick reply everyone, tried to hotwire the solenoid in the box with a screwdriver, but it doesnt do ANYTHING.

The motor will turn by hand
    The click when I hit start happened once, now when you hit start it does absolutely nothing, no noise no click, just nothing. The bilge/trim up and down trick won't even produce a thing.

Also I may add this boat ran fine last time I had it out , but that was also the last time i had it out before winter to now.

I know its something electrical, other than that the boat is perfect, everything checks out.

These 785 always seem to have the most oddball problems..such is life.

Any feedback helps?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by goBENGALS View Post
    98' 785

Thanks for the quick reply everyone, tried to hotwire the solenoid in the box with a screwdriver, but it doesn't do ANYTHING.

The motor will turn by hand
    The click when I hit start happened once, now when you hit start it does absolutely nothing, no noise no click, just nothing. The bilge/trim up and down trick won't even produce a thing...
    Make 100% sure all the battery cable ends are clean metal-to-metal connections. Remove both ends of each cable, make sure it is all good.

If the battery cables are good, and jumping the solenoid heavy terminals does nothing, then it sounds like the starter motor has failed.

+1
    These 785 always seem to have the most oddball problems..such is life.

Any feedback helps?[/QUOTE]

Ha......... tell me about it.......flyheel bolt loose, cdi was cut open to change prom and was taped with duct tape that was old n peeling, water shut off valve hose flies off at speed, cdi not operating controller valves, fuel POURING into the Pto carb.. Yep I hear ya!

The starter wire corroded on the terminal on the starter? that would make it not move. Maybe the cdi just dies on ya. does the battery spark if your were to try to spark to wires together if it was on the bench? whats the cranking voltage? maybe the bendix is jammed up on the helix, it jumps up and stays but doesnt hit the flywheel either.. Take the starter off possibly and bench run it. it should whirl! like its on fire! if not its junk.

check the reset button? negetive and positive on battery sup
    er clean and tight? maybe you could swap a cdi to see if it works.

sounds like the battery is dead to me.

I am going to disconnect starter cable and clean both connections and see. there is some build up so maybe that is the issue.

Bendix is fine, that was the first thing i checked

Battery is a Drycell Odysey pc625, fully charged on a digital 2amp trickle.

Other thing is I will double check voltage on the box. Maybe something is just loose.

Thanks for the advice I'll check over the wknd!

Thread Information