Rd cooling kit/Riva thru hull issues to watch out for

Well leaving the thermostat in has bit me again. Ski wasnt running worth a crap, checked the sc and some as junk. Ran it with the seats off and it ran good sometimes. By this point i believe i would have fouled my plugs...

was digging around installing my lc1 wideband and noticed my riva thru hull pipe had come off the water box. The hose is destroyed (melted in two) and i cant decide if heat from the exhaust restrictor plate/thermostat in melted the hose and it fell off. Or if it fell off screwed the hose. thinking heat first.

needless to say once the wideband is install the thermostat is coming out. summer heat is here so ill be ok. but come winter itll be back in and the exahust restrictor plate will be swapped to stock. Luckily i have a spare hose from my old riva FF exhaust kit!

+1
    Thermostat out was bad for me (too cool water temps).

Thermostat in is good for me. GIO is gone. However, if the thermostat is left in the extra engine cooling supplies (oil and engine) need to be shut off or hoses may pop from the restricted water flow.

Just my .02.

Ive popped a hose with the thermostat in and the cooling kit installed. But now ive melted my exhaust without the extra cooling and the thermostat in...Maybe just thermostat out and no extra cooling. The 160mm should move more water than 155mm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Thermostat out was bad for me (too cool water temps).

Thermostat in is good for me. GIO is gone. However, if the thermostat is left in the extra engine cooling supplies (oil and engine) need to be shut off or hoses may pop from the restricted water flow.

Just my .02.
    what about shutting off the oem water supply to the engine and oil cooler instead of shutting off the extra cooling from the r&d or riva kit?
    when i had the thermostat in a ruptured a water line coming off of the rectafier. so i installed high pressure line and removed the thermostat. will probably keep it that way since we are in the 90`s at the moment and should see 100+ degrees in a week.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    what about shutting off the oem water supply to the engine and oil cooler instead of shutting off the extra cooling from the r&d or riva kit?
    I guess you could do that but I don't think I would without really studying the flow of both supplies (stock as compared to R & D) because if the R & D is not enough cooling you could run into problems and overheat.

I just kept stock cooling and shut-off the auxiliary supplies to the engine but kept the additional IC supply (which actually increases the water to the engine a bit I believe because of the 4-way).

The water and weather where I normally ride is very cool (Mudbug was a totally different story as I found-out what heat sink is ). Stock cooling with thermostat installed seems to work well. I just need to remove the 4-way. And decide on an IC. And play with shims on my stock FZ plate modded by Jim. And play with shims/test my stock VX plate. And... I just really want to ride for a while.

Thread Information