Exclamation 2004 700 Freedom Question

I am looking at buying another jet ski to go with my 2001 Polaris Virage. This one is a 2004 Freedom 700. It needs a little work. It will fire up but when you put the plug wires on it will only fire on one cylinder. Im taking it that it is a brain box problem. Does the Freedom compare to the Virage work wise? Also the gauge cluster is missing out of it. What are your thoughts? Im wondering if it is worth the hassle.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Freedom is a stripped down Virage. It does not have the digital display, and is carburetor only.

The electrical system has some parts unique to the Freedom, mostly related to the analog style fuel gauge unit.

I think the Freedom seat is slightly different from the Virage

Otherwise, it is essentially the same as the carburetor Virage two cylinder model.

Well I have an oppurtunity to get it at a really really cheap price. It has good compression on both cylinders but one of the cylinders isnt firing. I pulled the plug wire off and there is no spark at all. So what do you think is the issue? Is it worth me buying it and fixing it up? I like my Virage and this one would make a nice sister ski to mine. It needs a seat cover, I guess all it has is a fuel gauge, which is missing. Oh yea and the electrical problem needs to be fixed...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoCoLifSavr View Post
    Well I have an opportunity to get it at a really really cheap price. It has good compression on both cylinders but one of the cylinders isn't firing. I pulled the plug wire off and there is no spark at all.

So what do you think is the issue? Is it worth me buying it and fixing it up?

I like my Virage and this one would make a nice sister ski to mine. It needs a seat cover, I guess all it has is a fuel gauge, which is missing. Oh yea and the electrical problem needs to be fixed...
    The two cylinder Virage AND Freedom carburetor engines fire both spark plugs together, every time. There is only one ignition coil and it is connected to both spark plugs.

In order for either spark plug to fire BOTH spark plugs must be connected to the ignition coil and both spark plugs must be grounded to the engine.

The CDI pulses the ignition coil any time either cylinder needs spark, and both plugs spark together, every time.

You will probably find the ignition repair is not expensive. The worst case scenario is probably a new CDI or stator, but it might be as simple as a new ignition coil or plug wires.

You will need to source the Freedom display, which was only used on that model. Or you could go to the trouble of changing the entire electrical system over to the Virage version, and install a Virage display.

Man I like picking your brain, you are the man when it comes to Polaris ski's. The board is fortunate to have a Polaris guru like yourself...

So with that being said, what would go into changing the electrical system over to the virage or genesis where I could have that pretty gauge cluster.

+1
    ...what would go into changing the [Freedom] electrical system over to the Virage ...where I could have that pretty gauge cluster.
    Find a parted out two cylinder carburetor Virage and buy the entire electrical system.

Any year MFI display (from any Genesis or Virage model) will work, so it doesn't have to match the year that the wire harness comes from.

I agree that the MFI display was the nicest display Polaris ever did for watercraft. The MSX display seems sexier, until you actually want to use it.

So what all would that have to include besides the electrical box

+1
    So what all would that have to include besides the electrical box
    The entire wiring harness - all the wires, especially the bundle that runs up to the hood.

Also the LR Start/Stop module inside the electrical box.

The Freedom CDI would probably work just fine in the Virage system, as would the stator.

Often when a Virage is parted out, the wire harness and the electrical box are available together.

Thread Information