Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

oil leaking sl750

I have a 94 sl750 and it spits alot of oil out of the exhaust! I ran it in my garage for about 5 seconds and after i shut it off it was literally pissing oil out of the exhaust. I just rebuilt the carbs new fuel line through out and tripple pump but this was happening before all of this stuff was replaced. It does seem like its just oil not oil gas mixture. Any suggestions or info about the oil injection set up is greatly appreciated!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The waterbox can accumulate a lot of oily exhaust residue if the engine has not been running properly beforehand.

There is always water sitting in the waterbox, and it can be nasty stuff if the engine was running badly or was idled excessively just before it was last shut down.

I would take it outside, start it and run it for a solid 20 seconds. Give it a few very short bursts of throttle.

Shut it down and let it cool for a few minutes, then run it again. After 2 or 3 times, the oily exhaust should subside.

Or you can hook it up to your garden hose, and run it for a maximum of about two minutes at a time. Again, you can burst the throttle very briefly to help flush the residue out of the engine and exhaust.

When using the garden hoss, always follow this sequence;

Engine Start, THEN water on
    Water OFF first, the engine off.

thanks for the reply it was running poorly. Seems to be running better now that I did suggested maintence of fuel system. So hopefully it will clean out.

+1
    Exhaust parts are easy to pull out and clean.

Old trash can with Simple green and let them soak. Slosh them around and then rinse really well.

My SL always threw tons of THICK sludge out the exhaust. The ride plate was almost always overflowing with oil/crap.

This probably isnt normal, however.

that might be a good idea. I dont want to take it to the lake and have it look like the gulf of mexico behind me!!

What worked best for me was to pour some gas in the waterbox, shake it around, and dump it out. That got my TDR really clean. Im not sure how well that would work with the OEM waterbox, with all those baffles in the way. You probably can get a fair amount of crud out of the waterbox just shaking it around...

Otherwise, there really isnt anywhere for very much oil to sit around. Clean the waterbox and rev it up a bit.

thanks for the help, I will give that a try! So I should not be worried at this point about a problem with the oil injection system?

+1
    If your worried about that, check the oil fill container for leaks on the outside, the hose connection on it, check to see if the loom is on the hose or even take that off n clean it , check the rest of the hose to the pump, make sure its connected tight to the pump, and then check the pump with a mirror and make sure all 3 lines are connected tight to the pump and then run your hand up the lines to the air cleaner base and check the clamp on the 3 fittings there too.

then youv'e check it all for leaks.

if you still think there is a problem, when its running, stick the mirror down at the pump and watch it for leaks as its running along with any lines, they could break vertically too , not just horizontallly.

periodically while riding, take a peek at the tank to see if its using oil up. youll get use to how much is used normally.. should go like 3 full tanks before the oil is gone..

Hey Bow it looks like you guys are getting hit hard with storms I hope that pro is safe!!! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information