New tigershark owner help

I have bought a tigershark montecarlo 1000 with only 25 hours on it ( original owner is afraid to use it after near accident). It has not been started for 5 years. I have two issues that I need help with! I put a new battery in it and tried to start it and it turned over twice and then nothing. I think with this few hours on it that the starter is ok but I want to see if the bendix is gunked up. 1. How do I get to the bendix and can I clean it without removing it or the starter. I was able to turn the driveshaft.

2. There is about a pint of straight clean oil in the bottom of the ski. Is there typical seals or gaskets that leak or go out on these machines. I need to know where to check first. I am picking up the ski this weekend and need to know where I stand and what to do first. Any other suggestions on getting a machine started that hasn't been run in 5 years.

+1

shark

to change the bendix in the 1000 sharks you have to remove the motor.The motor plate has a lip at the front of it that wont let you get the bottom stator cover bolts out or pull the cover off. As for the oil-I would just start checking all the oil lines from the tank to the carbs-maybe a crack in the tank. Ive had several 1000 sharks and havent had any problems-sold my daytona 1000 last year with about 1000 hours on it and only thing i ever did was put bendixes in it. If you get it and change the bendix-make sure you seal the mag cover reaaaaalllly good and put a new seal on the starter along with a ring of silicone. Any moisture in the mag cover and the bendix sticks. The 640 and 770 mag covers come right off-

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

sitting for five years...

might as well have 1000 hours on it. You're likely in for much more then a little starter trouble.

Let's hope the gas was drained.

first things first however...let's get it cranking over.
    Pull the plugs and spray a good amount of wd-40 down each hole..turn the driveshaft a little ( good sign btw) and spray some more

Ground the plug caps ( you can lay the plugs on the engine to accomplish this) Put a voltmeter on the battery, engage the starter..report your results.

you may just have a stuck solenoid. No clicking when you mash the start button sound is a dead giveaway

If the battery voltage doesn't change and no click, pop open the electric box, get your mister wizard protective googles and a sacrificial open end wrench and cross the solenoid terminals for a second. if the engine turns....

make up a little 50-1 premix..squirt 1 oz down each plughole, putplugs in, clean up ANY spilled fuel, jump soleniod again if you get something out of the engine, proceed to prepare the fuel system ( drain everything, fresh fuel in the tank and so on)

Don't worry about the oil in the hull just yet..a drip a week over 5 years will make a decent puddle..do sop it up for now with some old rags.

Don't go pulling the engine just yet..there are _other options_(evil smile)

heh,,, I like this guy...

Don't go pulling the engine just yet..there are _other options_(evil smile)[/QUOTE]

I have found all of this information helpful in my early experience working on pwc's. I have a '94 TS that clicks and the voltage drops about 0.2 volts when I engage the start switch. I tried the screwdriver between the posts and I got nothing. Am I looking at the starter or the bendix?
    The previous owner said he had it out last year and it ran great. When I went to buy it, it was cranking slowly (he didn't charge the battery). I came home, charged the battery overnight and tried again. It still was cranking slowly, then it wouldn't crank at all. I am thinking it is a bendix that needs to be cleaned or replaced, but wanted to make sure before tearing stuff apart.

Thanks for any insight to my problem.

+1
    funny..I have a monte carlo on the lot now that also hasn't been started in 5 years!..this one needed a little help with a pipe wrench , but the engine is now spinning over with the starter ( it is making bad noise, but at least it's cranking). These was some rust showing on one of the plugs..so this shark is certainly on some borrowed time

you need a starter..buy the cheapest one you can find ( likely under $100) ..don't mess with the bendix..nothing wrong with that yet. (a bendix problem will manifest itself as a starter that is turning..and an engine that won't ..accompanied by horrid grinding noises)

Thanks for such a quick response! I pulled the starter and it was the starter that was bad. However, I have another issue. Someone in the past (maybe the previous owner) broke off a bolt for the starter, so it was only being held by one bolt. there is not enough of the broken end to grab at all, so it looks like I am going to have to pull the motor to drill/tap a new hole. Unless someone else knows a better approach.

Thanks again! You saved me from excessive work that would not have been necessary!

+1
    put lots of blue loctite on the remaining bolt and say a prayer to Poseidon that it holds for a while and don't crank the engine too much....get the si running..there will be plenty of time to deal with the busted bolt during the off season.

now with "25 hours"..why was the starter taken out by an obvious boob ( of course the bolt could have just broken off..these things do happen now and then)

Thread Information