Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Mix

Question Pre Mix

OK, here we go. So after searching and reading multiple posts on pre-mix i have concluded this. For my 215hr ski, i am deleting the oil pump and moving onto pre-mix at 40:1 (3.2 Oz oil per 10 gallons).
    Why 40:1? Because from reading the posts i find that there is this common used range thats right between 50:1-32:1. If anyone can share support for a different ratio, 40:1 it is.
    Oil: I could not find good enough reasons for using one oil over another. Many people list their personal positive experiences with a wide range of oils, synthetic or not, and try to discredit other oils without concrete examples why one oil should no be used. So unless anyone knows of real problems with mixing Yamalube 2w, thats the one i will be using. I can deal with smoke.
    Please share your thoughts and experiences with 40:1 yamalube 2w pre-mix. And if im off please steer me in the right direction.

+1
    I run amsoil interceptor in my seadoo xpl, and dominator in my GPR. The GPR is still oil injected which i will NEVER delete. I deleted my Oil Injection in my XPL and i regret going premix soo much i dont ride it much anymore.

why the regret?

Moderated
    Yamaha makes good oil but it smokes heaps and it gums up the power valve blades cos the the additives in it, however its those extras that they add into it that's the reason its so good at protecting cranks and motors in general.

as for pre mix ratios, its up to you, i kicked the shit out of my 1300cc carb setup for 60 hours running 32:1 yama lube and never had an issue related to wear etc...i did have some gas valve below issues cos they were second hand when i got them....., now its fully ported ( top and bottom ends) and fully rebuilt with new everything and i run 40:1 amsoil....... less smoke , picked up rpm ( about 30rpm when i changed oils and the brand of premium i run) and i am still kicking the shit out of it cos i only ride one way and that's WFO.

going from 40:1 to 32:1 does give you extra protection but is it really necessary ?? i dont know but i am willing to gamble it on my latest rebuild at 40:1 and thus far in 20 hours of so , no probs at all
    Last edited by izz0; 06-24-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: correction 32:1 , geez im getting old and my memory is failin me

super, and thank you for your post.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eurokidlt View Post
    why the regret?
    i like to go on long rides, if i need to gas up somewhere its a pain in the ass because i need to bring a ratio cup with oil in it, drop in oil while sitting on the water and making a mess with the oil. Its just not worth it to me to get rid of the oil injection system.

I run yamalube 2s at 36:1 and so far everything looks good. I chose that ratio because like you I've read most run 32-40:1 so i went in the middle. The 2w I didn't have a proplem mixing at 40 but the 2s is so much thinner I wanted to be safe. Dosent smoke as bad as the 2w and won't smudge up your power valves which is the main reason some don't run yamalube.. I agree premixed is a little more work but on a engine I jus completely rebuilt I don't want to take the chance on the oil pump going out and all my hard work and money be for nothing.

Question

sounds good, and i understand the mixing on the go issue. I will switch to Yamalube 2s once i use up my 4 gallons of 2w.

Also, can you recommend a good measuring device for the oil?

Moderated
    your memory is the best device.

25ml to every litre for 40:1

250ml for 10 ltrs....1 ltr for 40 ltrs....

its not hard, just take a drink bottle or two with you on the water, 500ml in each or whatever you need.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eurokidlt View Post
    sounds good, and i understand the mixing on the go issue. I will switch to Yamalube 2s once i use up my 4 gallons of 2w.

Also, can you recommend a good measuring device for the oil?

you can get a good ratio cup at any marina. i bought the kind that has a lid so i didnt have to transfew it from the cup to a soda bottle or something.

Mine looks something like this:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information